2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking to upgrade the speaker system in my Civic. Just wanting some advise on what you guys think are the best for quality within my price range.

First off I have a 2006 ES ctdi 5 door with then standard speaker set up. The sound system is ok as it is, but I love my music and having a big tannoy set up at home the Honda's speakers are lacking some 'ooompff'

I am not looking for anything to rattle other car windows as I drive past, just something with some extra bassline and can handle at higher volumes.

All in all my budget is around £200 for now,

So advice, shoot :)

Ash

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
You will struggle to get more "ooompff" with the OEM HU without extra amplification or changing the HU. The output is just too feeble.

Better speakers will improve the sound quality hugely, though.

I would budget for sound insulation in the doors, while you are changing the speakers, as this alone makes quite a noticable difference.

If you are going for components, I would also invest in a set with tweeter attenuation in the crossover. The treble from the OEM HU is overwhelming and needs to be reigned in a tad.

As for makes, there are countless recommendations on here, (some from me) if you search the forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the EX model with factory Alpine sat nav and components in the front and its not that bad, should be great when my pioneer amp and JBL / Kenwood speakers are fitted. Although I did have a Type S non sat-nav model while Honda had my car for a few days and the stereo in that was absolute s***e, sounded bloody awful. Anyway my point is if I didn't have sat-nav I'd consider changing the HU, although Dalco Car Audio did a Type R install with Rockford Fosgate amps, speakers and an MTX RE-Q 5 processor, cost a bit more than £200 though. You can find the vid on Youtube. If you must keep the OEM HU bear in mind that it probably only does 4 x 15 watts max so you will need high sensitivity speakers like Hertz Dieci, you will need 6.5" components in the front and 6.5" co-axials in the rear and don't forget tweeter mounts for the front. I hope I haven't gone too far of topic and good luck with your install. If you want car audio advice you could try Talkaudio.co.uk

·
Registered
283 Posts
just getting a new head unit with about 50w per channel makes the standard speakers sound pretty good, add an amp and sub and you probably won't bother changing the main speakers (they are not to bad with more power to them) suffice to say i've got some audison avk6's which i haven't fitted yet because the car sounds pretty good with just the jl12w6, amp and head unit fitted. most people who have been in the car can't believe that's all i've done

·
Registered
30 Posts
just getting a new head unit with about 50w per channel makes the standard speakers sound pretty good, add an amp and sub and you probably won't bother changing the main speakers (they are not to bad with more power to them) suffice to say i've got some audison avk6's which i haven't fitted yet because the car sounds pretty good with just the jl12w6 fitted. most people who have been in the car can't believe that's all i've done
An aftermarket HU cannot provide a true 4 x 50w rms through a 15 amp iso power feed. The max current it will supply is 15A and you would require 30A and a min 8awg power feed for a true 4 x 50w RMS. If you think it sounds good now, then with your Audison's installed and running of a proper amp and sound deadening in the doors you will have a nice little SQ setup. The difference will be like night and day with regards to quality and volume level with plenty of headroom left in your system. The Honda oem speakers are shameful and my advice would be amp and speakers first then a headunit and processor after.

·
Registered
283 Posts
amp

An aftermarket HU cannot provide a true 4 x 50w rms through a 15 amp iso power feed. The max current it will supply is 15A and you would require 30A and a min 8awg power feed for a true 4 x 50w RMS. If you think it sounds good now, then with your Audison's installed and running of a proper amp and sound deadening in the doors you will have a nice little SQ setup. The difference will be like night and day with regards to quality and volume level with plenty of headroom left in your system. The Honda oem speakers are shameful and my advice would be amp and speakers first then a headunit and processor after.
didn't mean to suggest you would get 50watts from the head merely indicating that more power in the standard speakers makes them sound better. decent 50watt head unit might give you about 50% more power than standard head unit, (depending on power supply) Wasting your money on a loc as you suggested when you replace the head unit later seems a waste of time and money. The standard head unit is probably worst than the standard speakers and very limiting in terms of upgrade. I'd still do the head unit first then amp and sub and if you want to spend money on speakers later at least you've got a good platform to build on. I'm sure the Audisons will sound better - no doubt - but haven't got round to it yet. cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.