2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bog standard Honda Civic 1.4 I have currently have the front clear plastic with Black H, & the standard read centre light cluster.

I was going to change to Type R centre front grille & clear rear all plastic Type R with red H.

Would my car would look stupid with these fittings meaning it would not look the part as it is just bog standard Civic except it would have this type r back light clear with the red logo and also I was going to get the front type r grille as well please give me your honest opinion as my car stands now would it be stupid for me to fit these two items considering how my car looks from the outside.

As my car is now would it suit these two item meaning would it be a good idea or a bad idea I just want some feed back from all the members on here first to see if it worth the expense to do this job myself as all these two parts are all expensive. Honest unbiased replies only please I will be looking all the forum member's advice on this idea of mine before I commit to purchase all second had well the rear light will be at £150 front grille type r will cost £139.

Please look at the pictures of my car

Thanks

Attachments

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
My personal opinion is that with the alloys you have I would put some eibach springs on it before doing the grill and rear light panel.

Some people will say that the red should just be for the type r and to be honest I agree. If you go down this route then I would get a sports grill rather than type r grill and get one of Ger's rear H covers for the rear light unit done in whatever colour set you want.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My personal opinion is that with the alloys you have I would put some eibach springs on it before doing the grill and rear light panel.

Some people will say that the red should just be for the type r and to be honest I agree. If you go down this route then I would get a sports grill rather than type r grill and get one of Ger's rear H covers for the rear light unit done in whatever colour set you want.
I suppose everyone has their own views on this but anyhow nice to see the replies coming in. As for the springs I don't think I would want to touch those as our test centre as we have a government test centre unlike UK mainland where your garage does the MOT Test our Government test centre will actually fail a car if the springs are not factory I actually seen a guy in a golf GTI get failed I asked him what happened and he replied my springs are not what the manufacturer had originally put on the car so they have to come off and they were a nice yellow colour too very fluorescent, apart from that. That we upgrade is as far as I would go as I would not be into upgrading the springs as if I was going to do that I would sell this car and buy a Type R but with the cost of insurance and road tax and the petrol it gulps I know a man who lives in the same street as me and he couldn't wait to get his Type R sold, and he had it for sale for nearly a year before he got rid of it he offered me a very good price for it but what it was costing him to run every day frightened me so I turned it down. He purchased a Toyota Auris 1.6

My 1.4 I is expensive enough and I don't think it is very cost effective. I find it sore on petrol actually. I would drive roughly 700 miles per week. I couldn't do those types of miles in a Type R my petrol bills would be through the roof.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Mate mods are all about personnel preference, i have change the front and rear and i think mine looks wicked but then ive dropped mine too which does make a massive difference, just cause its a goverment test center dosent mean they have different rules and regs they still have to follow the same standard code they shouldnt fail a car just cause its modded thats ********. eibachs are black in colour just like standard anyways get a set of these fitted they wont know the difference appart from you car looks better lol

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
its all about what you think looks good for your car mate - don't worry about what the rest of us think of it.

I have seen some really nice mods on this site but at the same time others that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and I think spoils the car (although it is not the place to point this out IMHO).

I am doing some on my 2.2 as although I love my car it looks a little bit 'dumpy' and boring in its present guise. I'd love an R type but with the miles I do it isn't practical, so my plan is just to get my 2.2 to look a little sportier so that I am happy with it. If people like it then great, if they don't its also not a problem to me.

I have put one of the sports grills on that gg93 has linked to above for example and I am really pleased with it. Have a good look around at the different mods people have done and you will soon come up with a list of things you like and don't like and you will then know what is best for you :)

Look forward to seeing your changes if you make any.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mate mods are all about personnel preference, i have change the front and rear and i think mine looks wicked but then ive dropped mine too which does make a massive difference, just cause its a goverment test center dosent mean they have different rules and regs they still have to follow the same standard code they shouldnt fail a car just cause its modded thats ********. eibachs are black in colour just like standard anyways get a set of these fitted they wont know the difference appart from you car looks better lol
Would you have a link for these springs I take it they are a self assembly job if you have any pointers that would be most welcome. But they guy in the Golf GTI did have his car failed, I could not believe it either as it does conform to the laws of the road and car specifications maybe the clearance was a problem but the car definitely did not pass the mot.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is an option I suppose god my head is full of things right now car springs lol anyone got any links to these springs as I would never have thought of that to tell you the truth.

I appreciate the input here as I do not want to make a dogs dick of my car so hence this thread, and thanks to all for replying I am taking on board what you are all saying here

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its all about what you think looks good for your car mate - don't worry about what the rest of us think of it.

I have seen some really nice mods on this site but at the same time others that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and I think spoils the car (although it is not the place to point this out IMHO).

I am doing some on my 2.2 as although I love my car it looks a little bit 'dumpy' and boring in its present guise. I'd love an R type but with the miles I do it isn't practical, so my plan is just to get my 2.2 to look a little sportier so that I am happy with it. If people like it then great, if they don't its also not a problem to me.

I have put one of the sports grills on that gg93 has linked to above for example and I am really pleased with it. Have a good look around at the different mods people have done and you will soon come up with a list of things you like and don't like and you will then know what is best for you :)

Look forward to seeing your changes if you make any.
That was a very thoughtful reply I can tell you put a lot of your own personal thoughts on that reply I appreciate all you have said it makes sense and I am pleased to be a member here you are all great bunch of guys read and willing to advise I find this site invaluable.

Thank you to all who have replied I cant say that enough.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How mine looks now
View attachment 102217

View attachment 102218

The day I bought her (private plate its a 2010, to avoid the confusion)
View attachment 102219

Yours look fantastic with the sports grill on the front and the Type R back center light on the back, tell me that Type R center light is there a blank see below.

The type R center light as you can see in my picture if this rubber shield is removed is there a fitting in there that could be accessed to place a bulb meaning fog light into that socket as I assume Honda have maybe blanked it can it be opened to place a fog light in there, or would that be road legal.

Attachments

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/70681-how-replace-rear-centre-light-panel-pre-2009-a.html

Yours look fantastic with the sports grill on the front and the Type R back center light on the back, tell me that Type R center light is there a blank see below.

The type R center light as you can see in my picture if this rubber shield is removed is there a fitting in there that could be accessed to place a bulb meaning fog light into that socket as I assume Honda have maybe blanked it can it be opened to place a fog light in there, or would that be road legal.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Yeh you should have no bother with them mate, all above board.
I've just fitted coilovers and taken a set of these off with shock's that have only covered 15000 miles like new the springs where new when fitted too only 3000 miles ago pity yours isn't a derv I could have done you a deal on them.
Gonna get em cleaned up and get a photo in the sale section if anyone else is interested pm me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah don't bother with the red H mate. Honda heads will spot it a mile away. And there is nowt wrong with your car so don't worry about it.

But as well as me saying that.. Don't worry about what anyone else says...

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah don't bother with the red H mate. Honda heads will spot it a mile away. And there is nowt wrong with your car so don't worry about it.

But as well as me saying that.. Don't worry about what anyone else says...
Yea weighing all this up I suppose thinking about it I will just go for the front Sports Grille with black H and the rear centre light. Though those springs look interesting it would look nice lowered by 25mm or 1''

Look at the wheel arch on this type R it is as high as mine at the present time I would have thought it would have been lowered.

Honda Civic 2.0 i-VTEC Type R GT 3dr (2007) | County Antrim | Gumtree

Anyway nice to hear all your replies which I have to say makes very good sense. I didn't know so thought to ask all your lot and you have confirmed what I thought so thank you for all your help and input.

I will upload posts to this thread when I get the springs done, centre sports grille without the red H and the Clear rear centre light, that should make a big difference.

Attachments

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How mine looks now
View attachment 102217

View attachment 102218

The day I bought her (private plate its a 2010, to avoid the confusion)
View attachment 102219
Hey Wardy.

On those springs you recommended EIBACH PRO KIT FOR HONDA CIVIC MK8 1.4i 2011 LOWERING SPRINGS | eBay would you or did you have to change the angle of the wheels meaning the camber be it negative or positive on the road. As a result you'll get uneven wear on your tyres. So did you have to purchase Front & rear Camber Bolts. or did you get the cars wheels aligned or as they call it FRS. Did you have to do any of this when you changed your springs?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts