2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! :cool:

I have trawled through this great site hoping to find the big question I thought would be on the top of the pile - but it does not seem ever to have been asked :eek:

No doubt I will open a big can of :worms: now, but rather than re-invent the wheel again, here goes !

I'm new to Honda, with a brand new 09 CTR GT with 0 miles, do I:

A) Leave it completely standard and enjoy it as Honda intended.

or

B) Spend money and modify.

Having read all your posts, it would be interesting to see if you had the time over again with your cars, what would you do if you were starting from scratch again.

Hypothetically, if I go for option B, it would be a Hondata ecu, a hks exhaust and racing intake (simply don't like the look of the gruppe M scoop) - However coming from Diesel world (an S320 CDI) the BHP/£ ratio seems like ferrari money :rolleyes:

Over to you guys (and gals!) :popcorn2:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, modifying your car can get pretty expensive. And very addictive. An then there's insurance to think about etc.

You need to spend a lot of money on the Type-R to significantly improve Power, and you simply don't get your money back on this when the time does come to sell.

However, there's plenty of other stuff you can do such as cosmetics (think Rage Alloys and Splitters) or handling (Coilovers, Springs) or other stuff like brakes. Again, none of this comes particularly cheap although you can find some decent 2nd items available on this forum...

The Type-R is excellent in standard guise. There's no real need to change it, but it's nice to add a little personal touch :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
ide stay standard to be honnest. in my opinion if you want something quicker there are plenty of cars in the same price range quicker out of the box. CTR's are quick cars!......at leist dont void your warrenty just yet

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
This is a very interesting question.

Arguably there are two distinct paths a CTR owner can take, customisations to make your car look and sound more individual, and customisation to make it perform much better.

It really boils down to how much money you can throw at it. If you can afford to, why not modify it to the point where you have the best CTR in town....;)

Of course you can go and buy a more powerful car but will it have the same buzz and culture around it as the Type R does?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Waste of money really tuning at as you hardly get any gains, its hard to resist though. Hondata is the first and probably best mod though.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I like the car looking standard. the car is also plenty fast enough for me so Fast Road Set-up is probably the only mod (if you can call it that) that I'd suggest.

I've spent all my money on stuff to keep it clean and shiny! :oops:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[smilie=nod.gif] Thanks guys!

Most cars seem to offer up a clear path to follow - the CTR totally goes against this norm IMHO :confused:

If money was no object we would be all running bugatti veyrons' :) I agree you could If you wanted throw bucket loads of money at the CTR, I am looking for a modest improvement, at a modest price ;)

Its worlds away from my last car, 2tons worth of Merc S-Class, but by the same token on this car 220euros buys you 64 BHP and 99nm torque from a box you can connect in less than 10mins! that's my definition of tuning at a modest price :) Getting all that weight to handle and stop well on UK roads however is another story :rolleyes:

I just would like to free up the ctrs power delivery, it seems so strangled until the VTEC kicks in, however "kick" is perhaps not the word for it, "nudge" would be more accurate :D

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
CPL's supercharger conversion- don't spend bit by bit. Save up and blow it on that supercharger kit,LSD, Big brake kit and coilovers.

Oh, maybe you should have bought secondhand to save on a few bob!

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Something to remember's that a couple of members, who had modded motors, before selling their cars removed their mods and said that they genuinely believed Honda had made a great car as standard - and that on driving the standard car again, realised why they had opted for one after test driving it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts