2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wanted some advice on how I stand really. Here is the background info.

Bought 2nd hand honda from non honda dealer.
They stated that a full service had been done and all 4 pads and discs + front shock abs were done.

I asked to see the service list from the local garage, was shown a photocopy and it looked fine.

Car was given full bill of health (MOT cert)...

Did a honda health check (dan dan daaaaa <-- dramatic efx)

They have come back with a few things that may need attention (still awaiting prices to be emailed).<--- cynics will say "told you so" ..lol

Now in order to go back to honda and say "nah this was done on such and such so how can it be...etc..." I need that service list from the local dealer.

My question is: am I entitled to this list at all or can they simply refuse to give it to me?

Cheers

G

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
No reason why they should refuse - just ask them for the service sheet.

What are the time frames we are taking about - i.e. when did you buy the car

I take Honda are saying new pads and disks are required :confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason why they should refuse - just ask them for the service sheet.

What are the time frames we are taking about - i.e. when did you buy the car

I take Honda are saying new pads and disks are required :confused:
car was bought approx 3 weeks ago...

yeah "disc contamination" was mentioned but I am awaiting the full report as I had to go back to work.. they took 90mins to do it..lol

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
unless your car has been standing for 3 weeks everything should be fine (if they did in fact replace disks and pads)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unless your car has been standing for 3 weeks everything should be fine (if they did in fact replace disks and pads)
they feel better than on test drive.

getting the list faxed through in 10 mins :) (from honda)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
How do you rate the local Honda dealer Gman? haven't used them but will have to soon :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you rate the local Honda dealer Gman? haven't used them but will have to soon :(

well i've only used them this once so here is what happend.

1) Booked in at 8am
2) waited in the plush waiting area (free coffee/tea) and leather seats. also a tv to watch
3) Said they would take an hour
4) after 90 mins I went to the service desk for an update.
5) Lad said just waiting on prices for stuff that is advisory
6) I had to leave and gave email as it was getting on
7) Had to just ring back 5 mins ago and remind him.
8) Said he would email in 10 mins.

So they are a bit slow, or it maybe just that reception person being busy and a touch absent minded.

There were quite a few others getting stuff done and I didn't see or hear anyone mouthing of complaint tbh.

oh a bit overpriced as well but is it the LS ;)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Sorry i'm taking you off topic but i thank you for your information, looks OK to be honest. Arnold Shark, sorry Clark, shoudnt say that as they sell their Civics well prices, are putting mine there to fix a list of niggles! Will keep an eye out for you, you have the Civinfo sticker yet?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry i'm taking you off topic but i thank you for your information, looks OK to be honest. Arnold Shark, sorry Clark, shoudnt say that as they sell their Civics well prices, are putting mine there to fix a list of niggles! Will keep an eye out for you, you have the Civinfo sticker yet?

I had an argument with the service manager there when I took an old car of mine in for something that they said maybe covered under warranty.
"we will check the warranty and get back to you asap"
next thing I knew was a phone call saying my motor was ready to collect and it would be £50.!!

I went down and started of all logical and nice, but the bloke was an ass, really arrogant and was even laughing at me... I stuck to my guns though with the logic, and he backed down after acting like a baby.. the old "we are only trying to help you" crap..lol

So I dont go back to Arnold Clark anymore! tw**... ;)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
therefore we have both met, and dealt with, the same person !

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the full list of what is what

Ok so on 29/04/2011 this is what has been done.

"Carried out presales check, carried out service as required, fitted new rear discs and pads
fitted n/s/f tyre
Stripped out and cleaned front brakes
Carried out MO Repairs (Fitted new front shock absorber),

Parts
-----
Front shockers
Motor Flush
Filter
Oil
Cabin Filter
Brake Pads
Brake Discs
Brake FLuid
Sunny SN3800 Tyre

------
Here is what the Honda Health check found.

X2rear backing plates broken
[FONT=&quot] Tech Notes: X2rear backing plates broken
Notes: 43253smge01 x 2
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Discs, Front, Contaminated, Replace [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Repair Kit, Expired, Replace [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tyre Condition, Front, Perished, Advise
Notes: uniroyal at kenway
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Drop Links, OSF, Excessive play, Replace [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Shock Absorbers, OSF, Noisy, Advise
Tech Notes: Bump stop dropped
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wipers, NSF, Smearing, Replace [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wipers, OSF, Smearing, Replace [/FONT]

-----------

So since i've only had the car since may 3rd!

where do I stand? am a bit of a loss as to the next approach really?

Thanks

Graeme

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Go back to the original dealer and tell them you want the items identified by Honda to be fixed and you expect them to pay for the repairs.

Things like the tyre, shocks and front disks should have been spotted during the pre-sales check. (it looks like the fixed one side but the other side also required attention)

Remember you purchased the car less than 4 weeks ago, and you could argue it is not fit for purpose :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go back to the original dealer and tell them you want the items identified by Honda to be fixed and you expect them to pay for the repairs.

Things like the tyre, shocks and front disks should have been spotted during the pre-sales check. (it looks like the fixed one side but the other side also required attention)

Remember you purchased the car less than 4 weeks ago, and you could argue it is not fit for purpose :(

do you know what rights I have if they refuse?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some reading Returning a car - Buying advice - Auto Trader UK - Auto Trader UK - buying particularly 'It should be free from defects, unless pointed out prior to purchase'
perfect, thanks for the link. The dealer has just this minute called, they are taking the car back in to get it checked out by their mechanics and do a report and also check out everything that Honda have said. I think that is fair enough for a 1st step tbh.

it's dealer -v- dealer with me in the middle....good job my missus works for the court service..;)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yeah its got to be fit for purpose.

It's also illegal to sell a vehicle in a non roadworthy condition sa defined by the Road Traffic Act.

I would argue that:

1. Expired Repair Kit

2. Perished Front Tyre

3. Contaminated Front Disc

4. Drop Links in need of replacement

5. Defective Wiper Blades

All render the vehicle un-roadworthy. Possibly 3 could be argued against if it didn't render the vehicle dangerous but all of the others potentially render it unsafe to drive. 1 is probably not unsafe but certainly undesirable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wonder how it managed to pass the MOT with these defects! I doubt if the would have reached this condition in 3 weeks,

Definitely illegal to sell a vehicle that is not road worthy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder how it managed to pass the MOT with these defects! I doubt if the would have reached this condition in 3 weeks,

Definitely illegal to sell a vehicle that is not road worthy.
Well that's what the dealer said, I do have a proper MOT cert and the mechanic used is quite respected in that area, always busy, does loads of vehicles and has a proper set up.

I am starting to wonder (should have in the 1st place) if this isn't just a scam by honda dealers - "hey come in, this is free....." but at the end of the day I dont have to have these things done, but they play on your mind don't they, especially as I drive the GF around as well so it's not just my safety I am responsible for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts