2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, planning on buying a new type s gt, don't know whether to have a 18 vtec or 2.2 diesel. never had a diesel before but looking at the spec's its more mpg, more torque, less road tax. Are the engines characteristics vastly different, is the diesel a lot noisier than a petrol. Anybody who has owned both would appreciate your opion in fact any opinion on the new shape civics good or bad would help. THANKS

·
Banned
952 Posts
whether anyone has owned either the golden rule is MILEAGE if you do over 12k miles a year over 3 years your better of with diesel,the diesel having more torque is better suited to motorway driving.the 1.8 better do drive in all other area's

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
ive got the diesel and for a balance of performance and economy it was my pick its obviously louder than a petrol but for a diesel very refined and quiet, i find the power delivery very smooth in comparison to vag diesels and of course it just looks fantastic. I could have easily had a type r but with the driving i do (lots of short journeys) it probably would have got less than 20mpg im getting 40mpg in the type s

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hi, have 2.2 5 door, other half has type r and previous to that 1.8 es 5 door. This is my first diesel and have to admit i think it,s great. Just back and forward to work in not a lot of traffic i,ll get about 160 miles to 20 pounds . I do find it a bit noisy on the engine side of things 55K on it but what i like best about it is the more or less instant grunt. Superb for a bit of quik over taking compared to the petrol one,s including the type r unless your revving it.:D

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I had a 2.2 diesel before my type r and thought it was great. i averaged 50 mpg and still had some good performance. if ** bothered about mpg then diesel all the way but it will only benifit u if u do the mileage. they are not that loud compared to most diesels out there and once warmed up u can hardly tell the difference especially on longer/motorway runs. enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
The thing with the Honda diesel engine is that its (almost) free of the characteristics usually associated with diesel-namely its very free revving,has little or no lag,smooth and quiet;even tickover's not bad,does'nt smoke and with the 3 door the car handles a dream,unaffected by any additional weight at the front some diesel cars can exhibit.

Reactions: GEORDIE 49

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Civic 2.2

Agree the 2.2 is a very fine engine apart from 1st gear, couldn't overtake a pedestrian (which can be annoying if you want to zip away at a busy roundabout etc) until you get above 2000 Revs but 2nd and 3rd gear more than make up for it.
You see a lot less 2.2's on the road than the petrol (which I find quite surprising as most reviews preffered the diesel over the Petrol engine) and they do depreciate a little less

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Agree the 2.2 is a very fine engine apart from 1st gear, couldn't overtake a pedestrian (which can be annoying if you want to zip away at a busy roundabout etc) until you get above 2000 Revs but 2nd and 3rd gear more than make up for it.
You see a lot less 2.2's on the road than the petrol (which I find quite surprising as most reviews preffered the diesel over the Petrol engine) and they do depreciate a little less

I agree. I love my 2.2. but that 1st gear quote really tickled me. as soon as you out of first though, it does go like a little rocket. And still saves some of your pennies from the oil barrons and the tax man. [smilie=giggle.gif]

·
<3
2,103 Posts
This is my first diesel and I love it! I was concerned it would sound like a tank as a few of my neighbours have noisy diesels but its not too bad really! MPG is great too considering its quick. I dont notice a problem in first though.. perhaps my boots have a little more lead in them! ;);)

:D Welcome :D!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts