2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
look at the comments after the review, looks like a lot of people dont rate the golf as much, and the focus has a boot almost half the size of the civic

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Not sure why the magazines like the golf so much. I had a diesel golf as a hire car recently and it was like driving a bus after the type R. A very comfy bus though !
Because I guess the AE staff get nice little back handers from VW!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Just because a bloke who did well at English at school prefers the xyz of a certain car to the xyz of another car, doesn't mean that we aren't all allowed to go out and make our own informed decisions, based on our own weighted preferences, and subsequently enjoy and be content with that decision for the duration of the ownership of that product.

OR

Make you own mind up. ;)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Not sure why the magazines like the golf so much. I had a diesel golf as a hire car recently and it was like driving a bus after the type R. A very comfy bus though !
A lot of these mags seem to be very pro VAG for whatever reason.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Reading down the list of comments AE are out on their own here.

"Golf is outdated and boring, Civic is far better value for money, Fords quoted small boot isn't that small, etc, etc".

I suspect AE advertising is heavily subsidised by VW group.

I did like the comment that a 1970's Lada with a VW badge would still come first in the AE tests :lol:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of this mags go: Golf was always best so it has to be best. We rated civic not the best so please die trying, but you won't get it.

Wait untill they release the next Golf. they will have to answer the question can the best be even better (despite 1.4TSI and 2.0 TDI engines are so unreliable)...

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
I hate the golf..sorry :(

Also- you guys hear the new golf 7 is coming out?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what I know is golf 7th gen is rumoured to come out in November 2012 and be based on the new VAG platform...mbq or smth called like that, this craaap will be all over the place: in skodas, audis, seats and whatever they push.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I must say i have driven several generation's of golf and they all feel far too unconnected from the road. Their impressively comfortable though no matter what the road surface. I've not been in a focus but did have to hire a mondeo at one point which i can only describe as neither good or bad though still comfortable. The way car magazine's praise the golf it's like they are trying to convince you it's better than cars outside of it's own segment but it really isn't.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
As mentioned, the Golf is fine, until you spec it up to Civic levels, then look at the price :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts