2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many months of waiting, my AEM CAI arrived yesterday straight from LAX!

In total its taken me 2.5 hours to fit it as you need to take the nearside wheel off and remove the inside of the arch. It does away with the resonator and the filter sits behind the horn, behind the bumper. ALOT of cheap plastic gets taken away and replaced with a nice powder coated intake pipe.

One part of the installation process requires you to cut a section from the wheelarch liner. It looks alot bigger in the instructions than it is in real life, and with a bit of careful plastic welding you wouldnt even know its there.

I experimented with the K&N 57i and found that removing the pipe from the wheel arch would make the car stall when braking heavily and I was concerned this would be an issue. Fortunately you keep one of the pipes in place you you still benefit from cold air from the high pressure zone, and then cold air coming from the lower grille. No flat spots, no jumpy revs when slowing down or stopped and no engine warning light!

Overall, much better than the 57i and less of a nightmare to fit than the Typhoon. The sound is fantastic as it echoes up the metal pipe, kicking in at around 3k RPM and carrying right through the rev range. I will upload a soundclip later.

Is it any better than the K&N 57i? Performance-wise I think slightly. Style-wise, Definitely! Well worth the £250 and long wait. AEM work in partnership with K&N so I've no idea why they dont sell this kit over here!

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
looks good,would be interested to see what it sounds like, over the pond they seem to think it doesnt sound as loud as ram air induction.

you getting it on a dyno soon to see if there's any extra HP? you know you want to :D

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
I'll stick with the 57i purely because this seems like a faff to fit, plus it's considerably more expensive.

Well played though for trying something different.

Perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good,would be interested to see what it sounds like, over the pond they seem to think it doesnt sound as loud as ram air induction.

you getting it on a dyno soon to see if there's any extra HP? you know you want to :D
It's a much nicer purr compared to the 57i. I tried recording on my Iphone on the way to work, but I got a load of background noise. Hopefully i'll get it dyno'd soon, I'd like to see how it plots. i've not got much time or money at the moment.

The quality of the parts and the fitment are far superior to the K&N. I loved the K&N but was never happy with the naff plastic tube they give you to hold the MAF and the ducting zip-tied all over the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will be following this tread to see that you wont get ecu-codes.
So far so good :)
It's for the R18 engine which is exactly the same so there shouldnt be an issue. AEM told me the fixing points would be different, but I didnt have a problem fitting at all! if anything it looks better under my bonnet than it does on the US version. i'll be showing it off everywhere I go :cool:

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
AT LAST!! :D

fair play jon for trying something different :thumbsup:
looking forward to hearing the roar of this....

if you need someone to hold the camera give us a ring mate!!

does look nice :cool:

Reactions: Jonnyrocket

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:police:
AT LAST!! :D

fair play jon for trying something different :thumbsup:
looking forward to hearing the roar of this....

if you need someone to hold the camera give us a ring mate!!

does look nice :cool:

Cheers mate! we'll have to meet up, i'd be interested to compare the two sounds. its not as noisy when stationary, but certainly picks up and gets louder! A couple of drivebys and tunnels are in order :police:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully I'll either be unique or get a couple of people to follow suit?
Considering the massive costs of kits for the CTR i dont think £200 is all that much. Especially for the quality and what you get in the box! They even throw in a US-style number plate holder.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
:police:

Cheers mate! we'll have to meet up, i'd be interested to compare the two sounds. its not as noisy when stationary, but certainly picks up and gets louder! A couple of drivebys and tunnels are in order :police:
£1.50 in the mersey tunnel......the acoustics in that are great!! ;)
anytime...

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We'll sort something. I'm working tonight and tomorrow, you might hear me. Who needs a turbo eh? ;)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
We'll sort something. I'm working tonight and tomorrow, you might hear me. Who needs a turbo eh? ;)
i do!!!
the limitations on the R18 engine is something i'm not used to...
back in my day, you walked into a scrap yard bought the item and bolted it on, sound & power was more easily achievable...
but with emission laws now, it's no wonder most manufacturer's are going forced induction.
a turbo type s would be good :idea2:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i do!!!
the limitations on the R18 engine is something i'm not used to...
back in my day, you walked into a scrap yard bought the item and bolted it on, sound & power was more easily achievable...
but with emission laws now, it's no wonder most manufacturer's are going forced induction.
a turbo type s would be good :idea2:
I've got a couple of Snail horns bolted to the front of my car. does that count? :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.