2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice mate, I really like these. How does it compare to the M3?
I prefer it to the M3.

I'm no pro driver, so i wasn't one for drifting the M3 or anything. It was a very nice drive though.

However the STi is go kart like, raw & no fancy accessories or electronics. A hell of a lot less to go wrong compared to the M3 (Which started to show signs of issues)

Rather than have big bills coming my way i decided to go for something with something a bit easier on the wallet to maintain.

What a gorgeous beast!

Tell us.... Is the hype with the e46 m3 *really* justified? Was it a stunning car to drive? I'm curious ;)

It was pretty stunning to drive, I really enjoyed it. If mine had no issues i wouldn't have sold it. But things kept popping up & i'd had enough. Cut my losses and got rid.

I really enjoyed my Type R, and 90% of my M3 ownership i said to myself i shouldn't have sold it. M3 was 8 years old when i got it but the sheer amount of potential issues blew my mind.

Overall i knew the M3 had potential issues, so i bought the newest one i could, spent more money on it than i had planned to. When i drove it, it was great, couldn't spot a fault with it. But they started to creep up. Disappointing to be honest for a car that costs so much new. I'm happy with the STi though, so fun! :)

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good Mate!

And dont worry, Im still looking after your old girl...... (although now starting to cost me money...)

Gaz.

Wow, great shot! Looking lovely.

Costing money but hopefully providing the fun!

:)

Nice, a step down from the M3 in my opinion, but good luck all the same :)
Possibly a step down, but a step down in costs too. Fuel is about the same, tax & Insurance too. But parts (which the M3 would have needed soon) and things like tyres are a big step down in costs! While providing as much fun.

Plus i fancied modding again to be honest & I think the STi is leagues ahead for modding. Unless you have a money tree for modding an M3! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Very nice, you get a lot of car for the price these are at now. If it wasn't for the compromise of refinement & ride comfort a pre '10 STI/Evo X were on my shortlist of cars after my FN2.

Was your M3 too old / too high milage to get offered a reputable aftermarket warranty out of interest? I know with my car once it's past 100k BMW only offer drive train cover but I agree with your reasoning to sell it before issues creep up, I wouldn't ever own a performance grade bimmer w/o a warranty myself.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Wow, great shot! Looking lovely.

Costing money but hopefully providing the fun!

:)

Possibly a step down, but a step down in costs too. Fuel is about the same, tax & Insurance too. But parts (which the M3 would have needed soon) and things like tyres are a big step down in costs! While providing as much fun.

Plus i fancied modding again to be honest & I think the STi is leagues ahead for modding. Unless you have a money tree for modding an M3! :rofl:
Im amazed its cheaper to run than an m3 i always got the impression they were the biggest fuel and running monster of most road legal cars in that price range.

Im always thinking about my next car an my choices were a nice ctr or a sporty bimmer of some sort but you saying that has made me wonder if a Subaru is more of a plausible option than i thought. Ive always had a soft spot for them, never driven one but god they are amazing just to be in. (Insurance and my age allowing). One day... :p hope you have a blast in it anyway.

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice, you get a lot of car for the price these are at now. If it wasn't for the compromise of refinement & ride comfort a pre '10 STI/Evo X were on my shortlist of cars after my FN2.

Was your M3 too old / too high milage to get offered a reputable aftermarket warranty out of interest? I know with my car once it's past 100k BMW only offer drive train cover but I agree with your reasoning to sell it before issues creep up, I wouldn't ever own a performance grade bimmer w/o a warranty myself.

Nope i could have had a warranty, it was 55 plate with 55k miles. However most people recommended warranty which cost about 1K per year to have even a chance of covering the SMG pump (2k repair).

I read about the car before i bought it & a company offered refurb & fit (with 12month / 10k warranty) of an SMG pump for around £800. But then after i bought it they went under, so my only option was a 2k bill which could come at any time.

Put it this way, if i had gone for a Manual Coupe, i probably would have still had it now. The SMG pump was way too risky with BMW being pretty much the only place to sort it.

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im amazed its cheaper to run than an m3 i always got the impression they were the biggest fuel and running monster of most road legal cars in that price range.

Im always thinking about my next car an my choices were a nice ctr or a sporty bimmer of some sort but you saying that has made me wonder if a Subaru is more of a plausible option than i thought. Ive always had a soft spot for them, never driven one but god they are amazing just to be in. (Insurance and my age allowing). One day... :p hope you have a blast in it anyway.

The Fuel, insurance & tax is pretty much the same, however tyres & general parts are a lot cheaper for the Impreza. Modding costs a fortune for the M3's it seems.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had exactly the same situation as you. A good few years ago got my dream car, an M3 in estoril blue. Had perfect interior that previous owner had specked up. Loved it, but then German reliability showed its face ( and the true face of German cars is that they are not reliable) and like you cut my loses, but I went to an EVO and also preferred that to the BM.
Totally reliable but 22 mpg and insurance got me in the end. Still regret selling it though.
The type r gives me the perfect blend of performance and affordable costs, but it's no EVO ( or scooby)

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very very nice! :D

I had exactly the same situation as you. A good few years ago got my dream car, an M3 in estoril blue. Had perfect interior that previous owner had specked up. Loved it, but then German reliability showed its face ( and the true face of German cars is that they are not reliable) and like you cut my loses, but I went to an EVO and also preferred that to the BM.
Totally reliable but 22 mpg and insurance got me in the end. Still regret selling it though.
The type r gives me the perfect blend of performance and affordable costs, but it's no EVO ( or scooby)

Yes, i wasn't all that impressed. The drive was great but they have so many things to keep on top of. I couldn't believe it. Then there is the huge potential issues that cost £,£££ to repair.

I loved my type r and if i done more miles I'd happily own one again because of the costs. While i can, i will enjoy this :D

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Don't blame you getting rid, once 1 fault arrives another follows on them m3's
My mate (fellow leicestonion) got himself 1 & within wks it was problem after problem, going into limp mode whilst on the main busy roundabout in Leicester was the final straw for him, he chucked a couple of grand sorting issues but a wk or 2 later another popped up, he's now on his 2nd fn2 & will never go back to a german car

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't blame you getting rid, once 1 fault arrives another follows on them m3's
My mate (fellow leicestonion) got himself 1 & within wks it was problem after problem, going into limp mode whilst on the main busy roundabout in Leicester was the final straw for him, he chucked a couple of grand sorting issues but a wk or 2 later another popped up, he's now on his 2nd fn2 & will never go back to a german car

I've had 4 German cars, the FN2 & now the impreza.

I feel like i should stay away from german cars now.

I'd only own another if i end up having enough money for the likes of a new C63 or something like that! haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts