2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I had mine hard wired in under the dash, stuck one of those smooth discs to right hand corner of dash, nav sticks to this with suction really well, looks great

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm getting my Civic tomorrow but there is no Nav option here in NZ. Is there any after market way to add Nav?
I'm ordering my Euro Civic in August and am very interested in replacing the stock OEM radio with a double-DIN Nav unit.

I've tracked down the following facia kit from the UK:

GENUINE CIVIC KIT

Now the trick is to find a suitable head-unit. There are plenty of no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese double-DIN units available in Trade-Me or eBay that will supply NZ maps. However my previous experience with these is that the Nav software is almost certainly unlicensed and therefore unethical (and frustratingly difficult to update the map data down track).

I want to stick to a unit that has genuine licensed Nav software with updates that are affordable and of reasonable frequency. My initial scan of international reviews pointed to the Pioneer AVIC-940BT or 950BT as an attractive unit with great interface, however after contacting the NZ Pioneer agent, I found they don't import Nav units at all. Pioneer Australia do have them but won't offer them with NZ maps. So..

Saw on eBay that Android based double-DIN head units are becoming more common, thus the obvious advantage of a good range of Nav software with NZ maps at reasonable pricing, and the real prospect of regular updates to the map data. The problem is all (except one) are again no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese units with doubtful ability to access firmware upgrades (if any) to fix inevitable bugs and feature lacks.

Therefore the only Android unit I would consider at this stage is made by French company Parrot. Their 'Asteroid Smart' is readily available here in NZ and they look to have plenty of accredited installers around the country:

Parrot Asteroid Smart

The facia kit from the UK mentioned above has optional adapter leads for the the Asteroid Smart. As long as the volume up/down/skip steering wheel controls work correctly with it, it would be high on my list for consideration. However my local Honda dealer thinks I may loose the ability to answer or initiate Bluetooth calls on the steering wheel that the factory OEM radio offers.

I'd be interested to hear what other decent Nav head-options might be do-able here in NZ, and I'll keep researching until I take delivery of my Euro L.

KJ

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I bought mine, Honda Italy was offering an Alpine INE-W920 for free. I still can use the remote on the steering wheel, but I lost the music info on the i-mid and the usb and aux port on the glove box near the seats. But now I have sat nav, hands free for phone and bluetooth audio streaming. When replacing the oem radio be very careful to check if the new radio turn off when the engine starts after the idle stop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Visit some forums that speak of this Parrot radio, I've heard bad things about it.
Hi darkolo. Thank you. Yes I've spent quite a bit of time reading through the forums. Possibly the most helpful has been the UK Parrot User Forum, and you are right about the reported negatives - it seems the Asteroid hit the market last year with some significant shortcomings. To Parrot's credit, they do appear to be listening and have followed up with significant firmware updates this year that appear to be addressing many of the shortcomings - this gives me cautious optimism that it will be a good choice.

To be fair to Parrot, I think what they are attempting with the Asteroid is in some ways quite pioneering, and it may take another generation of the product to answer some of the major criticisms, but the existing model I think, is heading in the right direction with useful incremental firmware updates, a major plus here in NZ where there still isn't a lot of choice for quality aftermarket Nav units.

My hope is that we will see ongoing innovation with new products from a range of manufacturers - personally I think Android-based units are a good way forward, or perhaps alternatives using something from Microsoft's stable of recent touch-based OSes could provide an excellent basis for a new generation of integrated car products (last year I switched from an Android phone to Windows Phone, and while initially there were some stability issues and significant holes in the App marketplace, major firmware upgrades and the steady growth of apps has produced a very stable and fluid user experience. I love the 'metro' UI compared to Android and won't be returning anytime soon regardless of the SG4's of this world. In my opinion, Nokia's new Lumia series are now fast catching up with the best of the Android and Apple offerings).

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks kendallj for your invaluable research. The parrot looks very interesting, but at $1299 NZ retailers are either taking the p#ss or are extremely naive. The same unit can be bought off ebay for US$523 delivered.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've done some further research for Nav units with genuine NZ maps.

Rapid - car audio, stereos, alarms, speakers, installs has Clarion, Kenwood and Alpine double-DIN units.

Also they say they can fit NZ Maps to any Pioneer AVIC head unit.

What has caught my interest is the Alpine INE-Z928. The interface looks real good and the reviews seem very positive. It's chassis is double-DIN but the display head is 8" diagonal. Of course I'm wondering if this can be made to fit in the 9th gen Civic...mmm.

Is there anyone with a UK EX who could measure the height and width of the Honda Nav unit bezel (it's definitely larger than double-DIN). The Alpine display head measures 197 mm wide by 124.4 mm high.

KJ

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I have a Tomtom. How did you hard wire yours?
Auto electrician wired in a 12v plug under dash, nothing removed, simply plugged the sat nav to this, then ran the wire up the right hand side and popped out near the windscreen. I usually leave mine plugged in all the time but it can still be removed, you can hardly see the plug when removed.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My aftermarker Nav:

Got me to where I wanted to go everytime. Never had any problems. It even warns me of speed cameras.

Serious question though, is it possible to get a nav installed on my SE that uses the trip computer screen? I'd rather try that than take a screwdriver to my dashboard...
I tried that one but couldn't find Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu in it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm ordering my Euro Civic in August and am very interested in replacing the stock OEM radio with a double-DIN Nav unit.

I've tracked down the following facia kit from the UK:

GENUINE CIVIC KIT

Now the trick is to find a suitable head-unit. There are plenty of no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese double-DIN units available in Trade-Me or eBay that will supply NZ maps. However my previous experience with these is that the Nav software is almost certainly unlicensed and therefore unethical (and frustratingly difficult to update the map data down track).

I want to stick to a unit that has genuine licensed Nav software with updates that are affordable and of reasonable frequency. My initial scan of international reviews pointed to the Pioneer AVIC-940BT or 950BT as an attractive unit with great interface, however after contacting the NZ Pioneer agent, I found they don't import Nav units at all. Pioneer Australia do have them but won't offer them with NZ maps. So..

Saw on eBay that Android based double-DIN head units are becoming more common, thus the obvious advantage of a good range of Nav software with NZ maps at reasonable pricing, and the real prospect of regular updates to the map data. The problem is all (except one) are again no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese units with doubtful ability to access firmware upgrades (if any) to fix inevitable bugs and feature lacks.

Therefore the only Android unit I would consider at this stage is made by French company Parrot. Their 'Asteroid Smart' is readily available here in NZ and they look to have plenty of accredited installers around the country:

Parrot Asteroid Smart

The facia kit from the UK mentioned above has optional adapter leads for the the Asteroid Smart. As long as the volume up/down/skip steering wheel controls work correctly with it, it would be high on my list for consideration. However my local Honda dealer thinks I may loose the ability to answer or initiate Bluetooth calls on the steering wheel that the factory OEM radio offers.

I'd be interested to hear what other decent Nav head-options might be do-able here in NZ, and I'll keep researching until I take delivery of my Euro L.

KJ
Hi KJ. Have you upgraded the after market head unit on your civic? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi KJ. Have you upgraded the after market head unit on your civic? Thanks
Hi AMD. No in the end I opted to go with the latest 9G Accord (not sold in Europe), and it has NAV as standard.

However my ex-wife is looking at a 9G Euro Civic to replace her 7G Civic, which has an aftermarket Double-DIN Sat Nav I installed for her a few years back. She is interested in having the same facility if she gets a 9G Civic, so I may need to dust off my initial research.

KJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts