2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting fellow Civic lovers. I've just clayed, polished and waxed my black Type R. It looks stunning and I'm getting really good at it but what is the best way to keep it like that without having to wash it again. What I mean is, can I just wipe it over with a microfibre cloth every other day or do I risk scratching the paint work with whatever has settled on it over that two day period? Thanks y'all.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Greeting fellow Civic lovers. I've just clayed, polished and waxed my black Type R. It looks stunning and I'm getting really good at it but what is the best way to keep it like that without having to wash it again. What I mean is, can I just wipe it over with a microfibre cloth every other day or do I risk scratching the paint work with whatever has settled on it over that two day period? Thanks y'all.
if there is not much on the surface then just use a quick detailing product with a soft microfibre, many detailing sprays out there, otherwise i would rewash then top up with the detailer.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks people. I was hoping that the wax layer would be sufficient enough to protect the paint from scratches even if the were small amounts of grit or dust on the surface. I take it that this is not the case?

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Thanks people. I was hoping that the wax layer would be sufficient enough to protect the paint from scratches even if the were small amounts of grit or dust on the surface. I take it that this is not the case?
unfortunately not the case, ideally snowfoaming would give you a touchless wash then rinse off foam and dry. If you aint got a lance/foam then really its a re-wash,dry,apply a quick spray wax/detailer to top up you previous wax you put on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you use a decent enough wax and 2 coats, you should not need to use a detailer. However, using the detailer will always help but I dont beliecve to be essential. I use collinite 978 (in the blue tin) and that will last a good 6 months or more with almost weekly washes and no application of product.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that Tom. I applied one coat of Bilt Hamber Finis Wax. Do you have any experience with that? The car is so shiny at the moment. Will my car keep this shine even after a few washes or do I have to keep topping up the wax?

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
I would definately buy a quick detailing spray and use between washes therefore keeping your car super shiney. Im sure bilt hamber will do a detailer if you want to stick with them. Robbo's the man for bilt hamber as he swear by their products, i'm sure he'll be along soon:cool:

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Robbo has experience of BH waxes.
You can use a qd to enhance the shine and durability of wax wash by wash

Reactions: Demokritus

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
You must forgive me.
QD is a product called quick detailer. These products are sprays applied after wash to give you a bit more shinny result and have a small protection too. They have many uses like clay bar lubricant, help to remove water spots from bad drying and you can also spray straight into bird dropping to remove it.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Forgive my lack of cleaning product knowledge but QD? What is this?
QD means quick detailer mate, basically they are spray waxes, a wipe on wipe off product and buff. quick to use after you have washed and dried you car. you use then to top up your previous wax layer to extend shine and durability. you carry on asking away mate, we are here to help[smilie=ebil-thumbu:

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Obviously the Porsche was clean enough so he didn't have to inspect the mitt. I always check the mitt, sponge etc to make sure its completely clean, and always change water after half car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for that Tom. I applied one coat of Bilt Hamber Finis Wax. Do you have any experience with that? The car is so shiny at the moment. Will my car keep this shine even after a few washes or do I have to keep topping up the wax?
Never used iyt mate. I'm not a pro, just like a nice shiney, well kept car. My colonite will never run out.

Wax never lasts, no matter how good it is. But a good one should last about 6 months before needing reapplication. Some will claim they can last 9-12 months, but this is dubious in my opinion. At anyrate, a top up will do no harm.

As others have said, an application of QD after each wash (once waxed) will help keep the protection.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.