2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With references to the following threads:

EX lights
which bulb does what (The 2006 Honda manual is wrong! Apparently corrected in 2007 manual)

Pottsy found some 'good reading' at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/producttests/archive/ - look for 'Bulbs'

background info:
sidelights - the ones that come on first, and give almost no light at all. Also know as 'position' lights
dipped beam - the ones you use at night when traffic is coming in the other direction. These are HID bulbs on EX spec Civics
main beam - the ones you use at night when there is no oncoming traffic - lights the blue indicator on the dash

Kpow99 changed his main beam to '50% extra white - Osram Silver stars (OSSH1 standard wattage 55w)' H1's from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/
This qualified for free side light bulbs '30% extra white - W5W blue bulbs '
Kpow99 said:
The main beams are really bright and once position lights have warmed a bit they look much better, can't go wrong for £16 for 2 sets of bulbs, would recommend to all.

Nelly67 went for his main beam bulbs as 'H1 12V 55W Philips Blue Vision bulbs as they have a Best Buy "award" from Auto Express' from Autobulbs.
Nelley67 said:
the Philips Blue lights come with 2 x free blue position lights, however they are not very blue so I would suggest ordering 2 blue position bulbs (501/W5W) as your free gift and they are much better

Nick almost went the whole hog on his ES
nick said:
i just bought a H7 HID 8000k conversion kit, H1 Philips bulbs with free w5w side lights, and H11 PIA foglight bulbs. HID Conversion seems hard to fit.
In the end, the HID conversions wasn't really on, so
Nick said:
HID conversion was too much trouble to fix, u needed to drill 2 ballasts into the cars engine bay, and if the bulbs are done it would be trouble to get them replaced, so i sold the HID conversion kit and went to japarts and got myself PIAA H7 7500k dipped beam bulbs. they are similar colour to my HID conversion except HID is bit brighter.
H11 4500k foglight is bit of trouble to fix, guna do that another time.

Trevorvogt replaced his main beam bulbs with 'RING sportz blue bulbs'
Trevorvogt said:
I no longer get that nasty yellow light its hard to tell the difference between to 2 colour temperatures. For those of you feeling that way inclined RING also do these in an 80 Watt version beware though these are not road legal.

allan40alt changed his main beams to 'H1 Philips Blue Vision'
allan40alt said:
Good result, well pleased.
and has found these for his sidelights '501 LED' Autobulbs.

fishyuk went for the 501LED sidelights - even though he is still waiting for his Civic to arrive!
fishyuk said:
Just for any of those thinking of ordering the 501LEDs note that they are marked (in smal print) as only suitable for show or non-road use as they are not E certified
Many EX owners have settled on the 501 SuperWhite LEDs to match the look of the HIDs.

For Type R owners, or other owners upgrading to Type R rear indicator units, the indicator bulbs are the wedge shaped fitment, such as the WY21W Silver Vision (silver when off, orange when on) ones.
AubtoBulb link is Autobulbs - don't forget the 10% discount! :D

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS

This thread is not intended for discussion (please), it's just me picking out the comments / suggestions from the discussion thread at EX Lights to save wading through the whole lot when trying to work out which one you want :)

thank you!

EDIT: link to this thread now included in the Lights FAQ :D

·
Premium Member
833 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
They're the ones I got + a free pair of 501 LED Sidelights (you must specify these as your choice of free gift).

The LED sidelights give a white light with a hint of blue. So much better than the yellow look to the standard bulbs.;)

I also got a 269 6LED Festoon bulb in Blue to replace the interior centre light and the free Blue sidelight bulbs that came packed in with the H1 Philips Blue Vision bulbs I fitted in the front map reading lights for a whiter light.:)

Give Autobulbs a ring (01794 368834) , tell them your present bulb and they will advise on the correct replacement.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
They're the ones I got + a free pair of 501 LED Sidelights (you must specify these as your choice of free gift).
Cheers for that!
Simply enough, did you have the HID lights before (and washer) or did you just have the standard lights?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
The link describes these bulbs as Xenon bulbs; does that mean they're replacements for the EX or are they replacements for non HID bulbs? Will I need the washer to use these or will they fit in my ES?

There could be some confusion creaping in here. Xenon is a gas used to fill the glass envelope of the bulb and is used in 'standard' bulbs as well as HID bulbs.

HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps use a system similar to a household flourescent tube in that they require a high voltage to 'strike' them in the region of 23,000 volts, once the Xenon gas has been ionised by the high voltage, and so producing light the voltage falls away to a much lower potential.

On Civics equipped with HID lights, only the dipped beams are HID the main beams are standard lights. This is because the ionisation process takes a little time and you would not have the ability to 'flash' your lights.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Hi WoolyCiv, so do you mean that the replacements I've fitted in my EX will work equally well with Generationgav's SE?

ps: I've just read the report on these 'Blue Vision' bulbs and they make reference to '..if you must have the Xenon look..' and they are referred to as an 'upgrade' for standard bulbs.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Hi WoolyCiv, so do you mean that the replacements I've fitted in my EX will work equally well with Generationgav's SE?
Alan it appears so according to the manual page 490. It has been noted previously that this table is incorrect in that it states the mainbeams are H7 and low beams are H1. It does not specify different high beams for the EX and SE so I suppose the answer is yes they are the same (H1).

·
Registered
55 Posts
LEDs

Hi Allan, were your free 501 LEDs marked as road legal? Just wondering though still fully intend to fit my extra bright ones...for show of course...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
They weren't marked with anything, just in clear vinyl sleeve and I didn't notice any warning on the Invoice. They are as bright as the standard bulb but are pure white from the front and a (very) slight blue tinge when viewed from an angle. Excellent result, I'm well pleased.:D

The free blue coated sidelight bulbs have worked well in the map lights. Before I notice a slight yellow appearance but they are now pure white. I keep them turned off though as I like the blue LED centre light on it's own when the doors are opened.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks! I'd planned to do the same with leaving the map lights off unless needed (blue LEDs there would be too much) but you've inspired me with the BlueVision upgrade. Would never have thought to use my BlueVision free side lights there so cheers!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
The 'Blue' is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't have had them if they looked at all 'chav'. I replaced the 'blue' position bulbs because they were too blue and put in the LED. The blue sidelight bulbs are fine in the map lights as they are behind an opaque lens.;) The H1 main beam is only noticeable when turned on and then they are pure white.:D

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
How easy is it to change the bulbs? I know it was a complete nightmare on my 206 and people have mentioned moving the battery, so is it easy or not?

·
Registered
93 Posts
There could be some confusion creaping in here. Xenon is a gas used to fill the glass envelope of the bulb and is used in 'standard' bulbs as well as HID bulbs.

HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps use a system similar to a household flourescent tube in that they require a high voltage to 'strike' them in the region of 23,000 volts, once the Xenon gas has been ionised by the high voltage, and so producing light the voltage falls away to a much lower potential.

On Civics equipped with HID lights, only the dipped beams are HID the main beams are standard lights. This is because the ionisation process takes a little time and you would not have the ability to 'flash' your lights.
^^^^ My Accord Type R has HIDs on the main beams and these take about only 5 seconds to warm up completely.....

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^^ My Accord Type R has HIDs on the main beams and these take about only 5 seconds to warm up completely.....
they are pretty quick, but 5 seconds is a long time if you're (for example) flashing your lights at the car coming in the other direction with his main beam still on :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
they are pretty quick, but 5 seconds is a long time if you're (for example) flashing your lights at the car coming in the other direction with his main beam still on :(
Yes, that's true enough, but in the 7 years I've had the car I can't say I've ever encountered that situation. If it's dark you put the lights on and by the time you've put your seatbelt on and moved off, the HIDs are at normal brightness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts