2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if there's any information regarding this already (iv used the search feature and cannot find anything) but iv been told that aftermarket HID kits are now illegal. Iv read load's of different things all over the internet and not sure what's true and what isn't so i'm hoping someone on here know's the correct information.

From what iv read, if the car didn't come with HID's already installed when manufactured then it's illegal to have them installed. To fit an aftermarket kit there need's to be some measures in place. 1/ The headlight housing needs to be changed for a proper HID headlight. 2/ There must be headlight washers installed. 3/ You have to be able to adjust the headlights from a switch/control button from inside the car.

The reason i was going to install an aftermarket HID kit is because the light's are so much brighter and better compared to the yellow dull ones that are installed at the moment. If what iv said above is correct, what are the best bulbs to buy to give a whiter & brighter light?

Thanks in advance and i look forward to reading peoples response

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
we can now fail them on a MOT, this only came in on the 01/01/2012, so can't see why it wouldn't be ture.
Is a shame as like you say, they are alot brighter, but are very dangerous to peoples eyes if not installed correctly

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
My understanding was that they needed to be autolevelling and have washers - not that they required projector lenses? Not sure either way as haven't had chance to speak to my MOT tester yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Oli, i did read that the car can fail an MOT if they are installed. Can also be issued with points and a fine if caught by the police so i didn't want to take any chances and would rather get the correct information first.

That sound's about right Syx. I can't remember exactly what it was regarding the light housing but something along the lines of cannot be glass or plastic (can't remember which) seems to ring a bell.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Technically it has always been illegal to install aftermarket HIDs without also installing washers and an auto-leveling system, it was just never really inforced.

But yes, both MOT centres and the police are cracking down on them. And about time too IMO, the amount of times I've been blinded by shoddily fitted aftermarket lights......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can't beat them, join them mpn. I would have them correctly fitted if that wasn't the case but it seems more hassle than it's worth having to go through all that so im now looking at some recommended bulbs? Anyone used nightbreakers and can give me a recommendation? also just had a look at some Philips Extreme Vision 100%

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Nightbreakers are very good, I have them dipped, main and fog. They are super bright and work well in the winter nights.

Reactions: ArcAneD

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Reactions: ArcAneD
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.