2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I know this question is on the forum like 100 times already but everyones question differs.. so.. :D

I have a VTI-S I'm from australia. My current OEM wheels are 16 x 6.5J. PCD 114.3 running 205/55/R16. not sure about the offset. but through browsing the general consensus seems to be ET45.

I want to put 18" rims on there. Specifically the ROTA GRID 18" x 8.5. Now I'm really bad and don't understand offset. I do know i need to reduce my tyre profile to allow for rolling circumference. But i don't know what offset to go to get clearance from my brakes.
Im not sure if i need to go higher or lower, and if the wheel gets too wide if it will hide the inside of my arch or hinder me to do full turn of my steering wheel.

Please help :(

Picture for reference

they come in these sizes only.
18x8.5 +44
18x8.5 +30

Kind regards
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
the lower the offer the further away for the brakes it will be

30 offset will literally be touching the outer edge of the arch with the tyre. Your standards wheels are 55 offset which are quite close to the strut/brake assembly

with a 8.5 wide wheel your smallest tyre will be a 235 wide which may just poke out of the arch at a offset of 30, with an offset of 44 you should be fine. Now problem being is that to not mess up your speedo too much, it will have to be a 235/35/18 tyre. Not only are they very expensive but the ride will be very harsh due to near enough no tyre left to cushion the ride. If you also have bad roads it will knacker your wheel in next to no time being so low profile.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the lower the offer the further away for the brakes it will be

30 offset will literally be touching the outer edge of the arch with the tyre. Your standards wheels are 55 offset which are quite close to the strut/brake assembly

with a 8.5 wide wheel your smallest tyre will be a 235 wide which may just poke out of the arch at a offset of 30, with an offset of 44 you should be fine. Now problem being is that to not mess up your speedo too much, it will have to be a 235/35/18 tyre. Not only are they very expensive but the ride will be very harsh due to near enough no tyre left to cushion the ride. If you also have bad roads it will knacker your wheel in next to no time being so low profile.
thanks for the lengthy response. Here in australia i can get 235/35/18's on sale sometimes continental brand for 130$? which is fairly cheap :O Is 35 really that low? should i scrap the 18's idea and just go 17" then? My tyres would be roughly 215/45/17 then??

Kind regards
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts