2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tracked down the rattle at c1500RPM. one of the 2 rear rubber mounts for the airbox is missing. Are they available as a part? Failing that I’ll strip it down and measure the one that is there. -Time to fire up the 3D printer.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a quick go at making a replacement in flexible 3D printed material. So far so good, as stopgap at least.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well one week on and it’s still in one piece. It’s working well. I can hear all the other little rattles and resonances now. Its a lot stiffer than the original so can I expect performance gains from a ‘polybushed’ air box? ?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Now I'm wondering if a mount may contribute towards my rattles! I normally just turn the radio up, never considered checking these.
Thanks for the heads up!

Jay

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can imagine perished ones would lead to the problem. If the box isn’t floating correctly on the mounts, there are lots of things it can rattle against.

If you’ve not had the box out, just rock it to see if it touches anything hard. You can just about see if both rear bushes are ok by looking down each side.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,098 Posts
Does it have a genuine Honda air filter fitted? Non genuine ones can cause a vibration noise at 1500rpm.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it have a genuine Honda air filter fitted? Non genuine ones can cause a vibration noise at 1500rpm.
Mine does. First thing I tried. 1500rpm is the box natural frequency I think. Anything loose will excite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts