2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 1.6 iDtec for a month or so now and getting used to all the functions slowly. Enjoying the drive though...much better than my old Passat Estate/Longship :smile3:

I was having a play today to check if the aircon is working as the (original) warranty ends in March.

It's a bit tricky in this cold weather but I put the heating on re-circ and warmed the cabin up nice and hot then turned everything down to low to trigger the maximum cooling.

So a couple of newbie questions really:

• Watching the aircon clutch (which I take to be the bottom pully in the engine bay) it kicks in for 2 or 3 seconds then stops for say 10 seconds then repeats...is this normal operation?
  • Inside the car itself the air seems tepid rather than ice cold exiting the vents even set to 16 degrees unless it is set to 'Lo' where it turns frosty cold...is this normal too?
It's the dual zone climate control version (set on sync) so coming from only having cars with standard aircon I don't really know what it should be doing.
Any experiences much appreciated.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
If it's at temperature in Cabin you've got it set to it won't pump out ice cold until you select low unless temp interior gets warmer than set temp. Plus if you've got econ mode on it derates it so not as efficient at keeping temp set. Kicking in/out/in sounds like as mine runs also.
Depending when it was last regassed if over 3 years I'd get it done as they slowly loose gas. This will make sure it's lubed up inside and can cope with temp requested in summer rather than having to keep it low temp/high fan working hard trying to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Red Dwarf

I'll get the gas levels checked/topped up just in case as it's pushing 3 years old now.

Would you know where the sensors are that it uses to measure the interior temperature.
I guess there must be two if it's dual zone.

From my perspective it feels a little warmer than I set it, e.g. 16 degrees feels more like 20.

Might borrow a temperature probe or two from work and do it a little more scientifically.

·
Super Moderator
2,207 Posts
if you want it cold to test aircon you need it set to low
as setting to 16 will make it 16 degrees and the climate control will self adjust to keep at 16 degress

ac turned on
fan turned up as much as it will go
and temp setting at low
testing via temp probe you should set to low then switch ac on and it should drop by about 10 degrees I think it is

this is what you want to test it
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/air-conditioning-test-thermometer

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
As mentioned in Red Dwarf's reply, try disabling econ mode - You may find no faffing needed - Econ kneecaps the AC Effectiveness for an extra 0.0001% of an MPG; alright for long motorway runs but if you're going for a normal drive and just want to car warm / cold, try switching it off.

You'll find the AC cycles, as mentioned; This may be accompanied by a slight rev rise.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Absolutely

When I tried Econ mode, in mid Summer, the AC, even on max cooling, the interior was still getting hotter.

As soon I turned Econ off, the cabin started cooling as the AC was noticeably colder and the fan speed increased.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Try running climate control set at Auto regularly at say 21c, this way the AC gets used and the seals don't dry out and the refrigerant won't escape as quick. So many folk don't use it until the weather gets hot once a year and by that time the gas has escaped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts