2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I Have a 2008 1.8 Sport - Drove up to Durham from York last week and air con decided to pack in on a very hot day. Booked into Honda - who said it might need regassing, so duly drove to dealer only for battery to fail directly outside! Only found this out as I thought I would move to a different parking space (girl thing!) but battery too flat to start.

Advised service person of this and said to leave it with them. Half hour later told me it was a relay issue (told me about faulty Omron (?)ones fitted) gas completely empty plus a faulty battery (never had any probs whatsoever before).
Got them to do work plus new battery and they fitted new wipers - cost £166 inc vat.

All fixed until today driving home from work, it's 24 degrees boiling hot and it's not cooling air again :( What could be wrong? Will call Honda tomorrow but could the faulty relay have damaged my car? And if so do Honda accept responsibility for this? I use my aircon all the time for demisting and cooling.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Only an examination will confirm the issue, but as the system was reported empty of gas during the first examination, the likelyhood is that it's down on gas again. If the re-gas included a dye in the gas to enable detection of the source of the leak, then another examination should find the leak, if that proves to be the cause.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you got your old relay still with you might be worth swapping over to see if they gave you a faulty one.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm not sure if they put the dye in - I'll ask when I call them tomorrow.
No they didn't give me old relay so can't check if it's that. Something drained the battery very quickly though!
I'm also worried now I might get stranded if the new relay is faulty too and it drains the battery again - is it worth trying to remove it until I can get it back to Honda?

If it's a leak - what does that involve? New compressor? New Honda? Arghh!! Hope not - I love my car.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Can be from o ring for 10 pence to radiator for 100 but need to be sure must have dye go to good garage to cut cost down they will fix it honda will replace a lot for?100s and give you free car wash with bill for 500 pounds

Samsung S4

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
It is very unlikely that there were two separate problems, either it would have been the relay OR the system needed regassing. It looks like they were guessing...

If the system needed regassing then it's quite likely that your AC system has a leak that needs repairing. Hopefully the recent regas included a UV dye that can now help them to find the leak (often the condenser, or its 'O'-ring connections). Unfortunately Honda dealers often charge ludicrously high prices for items such as the condenser; decent aftermarket alternatives are a fraction of the price. It may be best if you go back and complain, get the Honda dealer to confirm the actual problem (assuming it is a leak) then go to a independent garage for the repair and regas.

·
Administrator
17,932 Posts
I'd put money on there being a leak.

Fitting the new relay is a good preventative measure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Sitting at Honda right now. Apparently they did put dye in so at least they can check that.
Re the relay the battery did go flat suddenly so looks like relay could have been faulty. Maybe I've been unlucky and everything has failed at same time.
Anyway will update in due course....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay so an hour later - service receptionist calls me to the desk and states there isn't a leak but proceeds to tell me that they suspect the compressor clutch has failed.

I explained that the air con worked for a few days so how could it be this? She was a bit snappy at this point, sighed and went into workshop to ask. Came back and said that because a new relay had been fitted and new battery this could have triggered the compressor into life for a bit but then because extra surge it failed permanently.
Also asked if faulty relay could have damaged compressor in any way - especially with the abrupt failure of the battery. 'Not possible' was the reply.
Then she quoted £671.38 for a new clutch!!! Apparently around £445 of this is parts. Suffice to say I won't be getting Honda York to do it - especially when they only suspect it is that. Added to that the receptionist was off with me the whole time - said I would take matter up with Honda themselves. They have definitely lost a loyal customer - worst experience I have had from a garage.
During the service I had last year they left the plug off when they did an oil change and it leaked everywhere all over my drive! It was only the really nice mechanic that was sent out that put my faith back in them.

Anyway poor service aside - weirdly when I got back in the car, the air con was on and in circulate mode and it seemed to be working as it cooled the car down pretty quickly without opening the windows. Seems to be working at 50% at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
a faulty ac relay shouldn't flatten the battery at least it had no adverse effect on my car when the relay packed in it just stopped the clutch from engaging
i think the battery going flat was coincidence rather than a faulty relay

i would be tempted to take the car back stating i have already paid you to fix the air con and it's not fixed so can you fix it or refund the money you have charged me for a fault you have failed to rectify
i would also state that if they told me there was no guarantee that after the work was done the ac would be fixed they would not have been authorised to fix it in the first place

worth a try....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One thing I did think of was that on the way to get the air con serviced (first trip to Honda) I turned the climate control button completely off - something I hadn't done since the non functioning air con problem started. Maybe by doing this the relay (if stuck in permanent 'on' position) decided to divert power to my battery and somehow killed it.

I did quiz receptionist about true need for battery but she simply said it tested 'fail'. As I said in op my car has started first time in hot weather, freezing cold weather, damp foggy weather etc etc..no problems whatsoever.

I'm going to write a letter to Honda UK. Looking through these threads air con failure is very common. My old Honda lasted 10 years plus with no regassing and no air con problems. I think our cars should have been recalled when these problems started arising.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts