2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my Civic away this evening & decided to check the washer bottle.
When I lifted the bonnet I could hear a hissing noise coming from the air con compressor & noticed bubbles in the inspection glass on the pipework is this normal does anybody know:?:

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Mine produces a hissing noise occasionally from under the bonnet after a reasonable run. Not investigated further though.

Did once turn on the ignition (position 2) for a few seconds and that seemed to stop it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine produces a hissing noise occasionally from under the bonnet after a reasonable run. Not investigated further though.

Did once turn on the ignition (position 2) for a few seconds and that seemed to stop it.

you seem to be running low on freon, aka there is a leak somewhere. the sightglass should be clear after few minutes from compressor startup. look for clear refrigeration oil from any connections, it indicates a leak. oil also tends to gather dust so look for dirty spots also. if you have access under the car when aircon running, use soapwater with spraygun to pinpoint the leak, bubbles in soapwater indicate leak in refrigeration system. usually leaks occur from connections of compressor or shaft seal. also inspect the service valves somewhere in engine bay, in the tubing system. hard to say exactly where, since i have not got my car yet. but the hissing and sightglass bubbling are clear signs of running low. i do this for my work, so encountered this many times.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Where is the "inspection glass on the pipework" ??

could someone pls post a pic? :confused: ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Koolaid, thanks for your reply, had a good look around today & cannot find any leaks anywhere. I left it running for a while today & the bubbles seem to appear when the cooling fan kicks in other than that the inspection glass is clear. Funny thing is the climate works very well. PTR the inspection glass is near the washer bottle on the 1.8 petrol & it runs down to the front of the car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car went in today for the windscreen recall. I asked them to look at the air con which they did & they told me the bubbles are supposed to be there in the inspection glass, if you cannot see them the they told me the fluid is to low. They also put the spring clip on the fuel cover & it opens first time now.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
My car went in today for the windscreen recall. I asked them to look at the air con which they did & they told me the bubbles are supposed to be there in the inspection glass, if you cannot see them the they told me the fluid is to low. They also put the spring clip on the fuel cover & it opens first time now.

Just had a look, no bubbles!

Millie's going back to the nice man (at least he is before the works being done!) later this week. I'll get them to check it out

Cheers.

"My sister used to be a ballerina, but she had to give it up after damaging a groin muscle...... and it wasn't one of hers!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
As far as I know, if the aircon has been in use, the hissing sound on switch off is quite normal. It lasts for say 10 minutes or so. My Civic does it, and so did my previous Toyota.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi pcr, thats exactly what mine does for 10 mins or so after I turn it off, you can see bubbles & fluid running through it. My dealer told me this is normal on the Civic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my car has a hissing sound coming from the passenger footwell *** running.when i leave it over night the battery runs flat.
When the aircon is turned on the hissing stops.
Any ideas??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts