2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this noise when A/C is on, but this irritation is not unique to the 10G Honda, My 14 plate Astra suffered from the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If its fan-related, then verify by varying the fan speed.
From 4 squares and up mine makes a noise, but I've considered this normal for all cars I've had, including a Jag XKR in the past.

Al.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks to Grantham Honda the noise is now virtually inaudible. As I understand it, they have removed the old coolant fluid and left the system under vacuum for some time. System is then refilled. The theory is that there was some contamination of the fluid e.g water. Whatever the explanation it seems to have had a promising short term effect. I am a bit concerned that it may indicate leakage in the system but only time will tell.
Many thanks to all concerned especially the guys at Grantham Honda.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
When they regas the aircon it has a percentage of oil as lubricant for the system. Have Honda forgot to add or changed the supplier of or percentage of ?? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Unfortunately my 1.5 CIVIC Sport, registered in Dec 18, suffers exactly the same noise and it is driving me mad. No luck with the dealer sorting it as yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
YUP - Mine too. A definite harmonic whistle.Turn on A/C there it is - turn OFF A/c and it goes away. -NOT TURBO! 5500 miles on my 2018 sport hatch thought I would give it a while til first oil change to see if something would "break in" - Nope. It is INCREDIBLY annoying to the point I turn off AC to stop hearing it. I'll wait to see what dealer says when I take it in

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Hey guys.. FYI.
I had the same issue on my CRV.. great service manager said they would look at IT at my local dealer, Holdcroft Stoke.
They found that the fan motor bearings were the cause of my whistle and replaced it under warranty. Since it was fitted, the fan is quiet again..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Guys,

I collected my new Civic Sport+ on Monday evening and only noticed the whistle from the A/C yesterday, it is very annoying.

Any resolutions?

Thanks

Paul:smile3:

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
I collected my new Civic Sport+ on Monday evening and only noticed the whistle from the A/C yesterday, it is very annoying.

Any resolutions?
No. Just complain like crazy to your dealer.
They re gassed mine with a different gas. It made no difference.
The more people complain, the more likely they are to take this problem seriously. (although I doubt if they will). Honda customer care has gone down the tubes

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I was chatting to a guy who services house aircon units and he said that when home units whistle it means that it's trying to push out more air than it's able to pull in.

He seemed to think that the condenser unit is at fault if it's a new installation.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
He seemed to think that the condenser unit is at fault if it's a new installation.
99% certain that's what is causing it in mine. The dealer said that Honda had implied that's what it was wnhen they authorised changing the gas for some 'new' super duper stuff that made no difference whatsoever.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
The super dooper stuff must be that new refrigerant which is mega expensive (R134A vs R1234yf)..
Not hearing any A/C noises/whistles in my CTR - is this issue only on the 1.0 & 1.5's?

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Yeah, the dealer said it was mega expensive.
Not sure whether it is limited to the 1.0 and 1.5 because I only have access to my 1.5 and is sure as bloody hell does it on mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new 1.5 sport and took it back after 400 yards of driving ! It has this noise on the air conditioning which sounds like a fridge rattle or like a marble running round a saucers rim.
The dealer has now had the car 4 weeks and in conjunction with Honda, have tried everything , but to no avail.
I have been given a new 1.0 ex to drive as a courtesy car and it has no such noise.
A replacement 1.5 Sport was sent for and guess what, it has the noise too. I have now ordered a 1.0 sr
So we wait to see what happens now. The dealer , Vertu Doncaster , has been fantastic but Honda Customer Care have no idea how to fix it, and yes, that word “ characteristic” had now turned up !
I would not recommend anyone to buy a 1.5 Civic.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
So it seems that the 1.0 doesn't whistle, the 1.5 does but what about any 1.6 diesel owners? Any diesels suffering from this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, took delivery of new Civic Prestige 2 weeks ago. The chirping whistle is from the Aircon is annoying. Took it back to dealer, roadtested with Chief Mechanic who confirmed it would annoy him too!! Dealer now tells me that this noise is a Characteristic of the 1.5 and not a fault. Wished they had told mevthat before purchase. Why didnt they? Because I woulnt have bought [email protected]! I am most unhappy and have now contacted Honda. Nothing so far from them. Interesting reading previous on this issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Reject the car with the dealer.
According to my sources the factory are investigating.
Perhaps they didn't use the 'Characteristic of the car' as I wrote (to Honda CS)
I have heard elsewhere that you have said that this whistle is a ‘characteristic of the car’. No it is not. It is a characteristic of a badly designed A/C system and I suspect that it is associated with the A/C evaporator.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Wished they had told mevthat before purchase. Why didnt they? Because I woulnt have bought [email protected]!
Reject the car with the dealer. (Google it)

According to my sources the factory are investigating.:scream1:

Perhaps they didn't use the 'Characteristic of the car' as I wrote (to Honda CS)
I have heard elsewhere that you have said that this whistle is a ‘characteristic of the car’. No it is not. It is a characteristic of a badly designed A/C system and I suspect that it is associated with the A/C evaporator.
It seems to me that they have no intention of fixing this fault.:crying:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with M8TJT. You have 30 days under Consumer Rights Act 2015 within which you can reject a faulty item.

But it must be faulty ie not just a characteristic and that is the dilemma as to how to prove that it is a fault.

I was able to do this a year ago for a different issue and recorded on this forum. I wrote a formal letter to the Dealer Principal and in parallel followed through all the tests as requested by the Dealer and Honda UK until they accepted they did not have a solution. The 10g was then replaced.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts