2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem on my 2017 Civic LX coupe (Canada). When the a/c runs, it sounds like a dozen starlings in a tree, but muted. Took it in for initial diagnosis today.

Dealer response on report was, "Noise when a/c is on confirmed customer complaint. Noise is from low refrigerant in system. Suspect leaking condenser. Ask customer to return for a/c diagnosis and leak testing for a/c system."

I'll let them run the diagnosis and update with the results.

UPDATE!

Invoice from repair reads:

Vehicle needs follow-up a/c diagnosis and leak testing for a/c system, as per previous invoice. Customer reports there is a chirping noise at stationary and also when driving
a/c noise. Connected a/c machine and confirmed refrigerant level is low. Visually inspected all a/c components and found condenser to have signs of leaks. Confirmed condenser is leaking. Replaced a/c condenser. Installed new o-rings. Performed leak test and passed. System can hold vacuum. Charged system and added oil. Turned a/c on and noise is gone.

My repair was completed under warranty.

If you hear that chirping, it's a good indicator that your refrigerant may be leaking out, and given the reported problems with condensers in these cars, that's a good place to start looking for leaks.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I'm having trouble understanding how brand new cars, straight off the forecourt are doing this.

Also M8TJT had his refrigerant completely replaced and therefore full, and it still did it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well that's quite an update. Thanks.

I have the noise from new, but ac has always been cold. So cold sometimes I'd have to re-aim the vents. If it were leaking over a whole summer wouldn't we expect warm air at some point? I guess we'll find out this next summer, we should all still be under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My a/c blew cold at the time of the repair.

The car only had 10000km on it, and I don't know how long the previous owner was dealing with it before I bought it. The noise was there from the beginning, for me.

The technicians clearly knew what the problem was going to be as soon as they heard the noise, so it must be pretty common.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Mine isn't a 'chirping' sound, it's a pretty continuous whistle which was still there after a refrigerant replacement with 'super duper' mega expensive stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was definitely a chirping sound and not a continuous whistle.

I don't understand the mechanics behind what generated my noise, so I can't comment on whether the issues are similar or different. It's something to consider, though.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
The super dooper stuff must be that new refrigerant which is mega expensive (R134A vs R1234yf)..
Not hearing any A/C noises/whistles in my CTR - is this issue only on the 1.0 & 1.5's?

Watch to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Service went ok.
GPS issue still pending, although see new thread I started about its calibration.

They don't have the new equipment yet at every dealership for the new refrigerant, so will need a separate appointment. Made sure to log the noise on file, in case they have some warranty exclusion like they have for steering alignment.

The steering was slightly off early on, tracked correctly just the steering wheel was off Center a tad. Mentioned it to the dealer, at the time, and agreed to take care of it at first service. Too late. Had to be done within first month after delivery. Warranty exclusion. Because I had family business to take care of right after delivery, and I didn't notice it till I got back more than a month later, was excluded from the warranty. You have been warned.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, based on what was written above I wouldn't expect it to. Did they check yours for leaks to explain the low pressure? Has the pressure held since they refilled it?

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
The pressure was not low at all. It was just whistling. Changed the juice, no different. Crap evaporator design is my diagnosis.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
My guess is that Honda know exactly what the problem is and how much it's going to cost to strip and replace each unit.

It will probably be fixed for the 11G Civic.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
I heard on the grapevine that there was a bulletin to fix the aircon whistle. Got on to my dealer,. and it's now booked in for the fix on 28th.
It seems that the bulletin is a little ambiguous as my local said wrong VIN, Honda UK said wrong VIN but Honda EU said don';t be silly, read the bulletin more carefully. Right VIN. Yeah.

It seems like the return pipe from the condenser is 16mm too long and resonates.
Presumably the refrigerant plays it like a flute.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Air con whistle

This will be great news if it works. I have put up with the noise for about 20 months. It seemed to get better when the gas was extracted and the system pumped for a couple of days. Retrospectively I realise that the improvement corresponded to a drop in outside temperatures as it returned when the external temp rose. I’ll give it a while to let the news get around. Looking forward to hearing if it the fix is successful. It always sounded like resonance which is what I was told by AC “experts”.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The link to the recall info goes nowhere. Could you repost please? I’m having the same issue I believe and it would help evidence action being taken by my local Honda.

Thanks

81 - 100 of 122 Posts