2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We have a Civic 1.8 SE, 57 reg owned from new and just discovered (as its been a warm day today) that the air con doesn't cool to cold like it used to when we first got the car.

I've tried the controls - with the engine running/driving - from 20 deg down in 1 deg steps until it displays "LO" but the air coming out is at "room temperature".
No difference in feel with outside/inside re-circulated air selected.

Car is Honda FSH with only 7k miles from new.

Phoned honda and dealer said we would have to pay for any air con gas thay would have to fit as they consider this like other consumables??

Is this true? The car has a 3 Year warranty so I'd thought a fix for what ever reason should be free???

They have quoted £80 for a re-gas.

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Yes, it's true. Gas is a consumable!

You can phone round for different companies to do a re-gas, but £80 is about right. Do you leave your aircon on Auto the whole time, or do you turn the A/C off?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Mine packed up and it was a relay, so wasn't gas at all.

My early 55 reg car never lost enough gas in three years to have a noticeable effect.

In any case, if there is no gas, and it used to work, then there is a leak, so don't go getting fobbed off with an £80 charge when it should be fixed under warranty. If gas has escaped due to a leak caused by a fault, then it should be covered. Exception to this is if a stone has holed the condenser behind the bumper as thats accidental damage

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
follow-up

It's my wife's car and she has the aircon ON all of the time.

In fact, on the few times I've driven it I've noticed that with the family on board "4 up" you cannot turn it off without the inside steaming up on a journey, but I do remember it being able to freeze you if turned down in the past.

Love to know which relay it was as that would be an easy fix.

·
Train Driver Stu
323 Posts
Get the gas at Halfords. £14.99 and £4.99 for a connection tube. The filler is the big one on the left side of the engine bay. Its dead easy to do and makes a huge difference. (Well, mine did) Brrrrrrrr

Stu

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
other well known garages charge £45 for air con re-fill.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Get the gas at Halfords. £14.99 and £4.99 for a connection tube. The filler is the big one on the left side of the engine bay. Its dead easy to do and makes a huge difference. (Well, mine did) Brrrrrrrr

Stu
Having spent many years in the Far East where A/C was an absolute must I recall one problem with the DIY regas was that if any moisture ( from the atmosphere) is introduced then internal corrosion of the tubing and condensers begins and eventually leads to costly repairs. Perhaps one of our experts might care to comment.
Ramsay

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
When mine went it was fixed under warranty, but then it literally blew (quite alarming). It was a d-ring that hadn't been tightened properly.

The b/f, who is an aircon engineer, has advised me that, while I don't have mine on constantly, it isn't necessarily the case that I should do and that therefore, it was unlikely that it would have been down to me (when we weren't aware of the actual cause). And in fact, he only uses his when he needs it too.

Hope that's of some use to you ...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't think it is normal to loose the gas so soon, might be possible if you leave the aircon on all the time.
Imagine you have a slow leak, the dealer recharges the system, charges you £80, and all is apparently OK for another 18 months when you get to pay another £80.
I would insist that the the dealer carries out a leak test before recharging the gas.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not the relay!!

I've just pulled the black A/C relay, and buzzed it out with my meter, all working ok.
Put it back and toggled the A/C (with my assistant) whilst engine running, and you can clearly hear the A/C fan system cutting in and the relay working.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a little window - usually near the A/C dryer unit where you can see the gas bubbling through? I've not located this item yet, - not sure if the Civic has one?

I've had other cars with A/C and apart from one notorious Italian car never lost any significant quantities of gas in 2-3 years.

Could a stone / road debris put a hole somewhere in the A/C circuit and would you get a light on the dash or an error code etc?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Theres no way i would be paying for gas refills given that the car has only done 7k . Straight back to the dealer . My last car was a 03 mondeo which i owned from new , my wife had the a/c on every warm day . After six years use and 43k miles later it was still as cool as a cumcumber when i traded it in .

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem is where would I stand if the dealer finds a rupture/hole in the system caused by a stone etc and then says it's normal wear & tear?

Could I still get it fixed under warranty?

I doubt it...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I owned a Peg 306 and never topped up the gas in 9 years of ownership, it was still blowing cool air. You have to use the aircon once a week for around 10 minutes as stated in the manual, this should keep it in good working order. It sounds like you may have a leak, take it in to the dealer and get them to check the whole system. If they find a leak then get it fixed under warranty for free. Any damage from a stone won't be covered!

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi!

i havent run my aircon all winter as ive never had to do this before on any car ive owned.... but firing mine up now it is completely room-temp.

It was ice cold before winter so I find it hard to belive all the gas has leaked out in 3 months.

So my question is where is the relay for the aircon located?

thanks, in advance...

·
radix lecti
960 Posts
I don't know how true it is, but I remember being told that if you don't use it much, then the filters retain moisture and as such have a mouldy smell to them and the pipes constrict and then the aircon can't cool as effectively.

Cheapest to use the climate control (& aircon) all the time apparantly.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I don't know how true it is, but I remember being told that if you don't use it much, then the filters retain moisture and as such have a mouldy smell to them and the pipes constrict and then the aircon can't cool as effectively.

Cheapest to use the climate control (& aircon) all the time apparantly.
Need to run the A/C to keep the compressor shaft seals lubricated as if left to dry out then there is a risk of refrigerant escaping...

Above is a basic outline due to lack of time to reply... Off to work now!

Cheers,

Bob...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

Well the dealer has re-gassed it and introduced a dye into the system.

They are keeping it overnight to see if they can spot a gas leak and also to listen out for some creaks and knocks coming from the rear of the car when you first drive away after an overnight rest...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aircon has been fixed dealer couldn't find a leak but the UV dye is in the system so if it leaks out again then it may leave some evidence.

On a different note the rear shocks are being replaced under warranty next week, what worries me is will they just fit the same type of shocks and will I have the same problems in the near future?

With only 8k miles on the clock I hope the replacement shocks are better than the OE.

We shall see...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts