2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently got a letter from my Honda dealer saying that its time for my car to have a A/C service as its two years old. I called and was quoted £79 for the A/C service.

Has anyone else done an A/C service? What does this include? Do they change any filters or anything.

Is it worth doing as I have so far had no problems with the A/C

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
the pollen filter is changed as part of the service, as for a 2 year sevice total rubbish. if its working then whats wrong with it, for £79 thats the price for a total regas, money for nothing.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I agree, I have had A/Cs repaired but not serviced.
Not much servicing you can do either as I see it.

Sounds like a "function check"...

Would be interesting to ask them to itemise the £79...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought you should get your AC serviced yearly if you can, especially if you don't use it through winter. My last civic I never used it much in the winter, and when i started using it'd give a fusty smell, before I got my new CTR the AC in my old civic broke, gonna cost me around £300 for a new compressor, which now makes me wish I serviced it.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I thought you should get your AC serviced yearly if you can, especially if you don't use it through winter. My last civic I never used it much in the winter, and when i started using it'd give a fusty smell, before I got my new CTR the AC in my old civic broke, gonna cost me around £300 for a new compressor, which now makes me wish I serviced it.
If you had used the AC then it should have been fine, no service then req.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
If you use the AC all the time, then it wont need servicing
Why turn it off?
In the winter it prevents condensation.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Actually, A/C does need servicing (all cars) and 2 years is the recommended interval. The compressor needs checking and also there can be a build up of bacteria in the system which can cause irritations in breathing and in some cases even eye infections, so this can be checked and flushed.

I haven't really met anyone who has been diagnosed with an A/C infection though. [smilie=cheeky-grin: How would you explain that to the missus? "Oh that, I caught that off my car." Yeah right... maybe those videos about "car love" weren't so far off the mark! lol

[I]I have to say that I had my A/C on the Alfa serviced last month and there was a dramatic improvement in performance of cooling, a much fresher smell, and the climate control function changing back and fore between vents, and the automatic closing of the outside vent in traffic is vastly improved. ;)[/I]

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will ring the dealer and ask what exactly they do for the £79 and maybe decide then.

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
I was told that the A/C needs servicing after 2 years by both my skoda dealer and Honda dealer. I would personally prefer to get it serviced as it could stop any potential problems from becoming problems, if you know what I mean.

£79 is cheaper than £300

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have left mine on auto since I got car no problems so far:D
How can you stand the fan running that noisy for that long, on a hot day I can take about 5 mins of full auto then I have to slow the fan down as its driving me mad

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Dalboy is now about 100 quid lighter in fuel costs too........... ;-)

Tom

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Dalboy is now about 100 quid lighter in fuel costs too........... ;-)

Tom
My trip computer is showing MPG 42 I'm happy with that, if I hadn't wanted air con I could have bought a car without it much cheaper.:)
Also why spend £17 grand on a car then worry about £100 if indeed it has cost me that , which I very much doubt

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
How can you stand the fan running that noisy for that long, on a hot day I can take about 5 mins of full auto then I have to slow the fan down as its driving me mad
If you leave it slows down on its own after 5 to 10 minutes. mine does anyway:)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Yea I got this letter from Honda stealer to and phoned up to see how much they were going charge... I was told £69 from A.Clark Honda. How ever I asked the receptionist what was involved and was told a system check and re-charge... So thought what the heck it's working fine and freezin cold when on so I think I'll wait another year and get it looked at next year when it's getting serviced. [smilie=sir_spamalo:

Kwik-fit are doing a deal for air-con service but you pay your money you take your chances..!! ;)

See here... [url=http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp]Other Products :: Air Conditioning[/url]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts