2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'd just like to say that this seems to be a very informative forum.

Unfortunately, the reason I have registered, is to try and get to the bottom of my supposed 'approved' 2006 Honda 2.2 CTDi Civic.

Having owned Honda's for years in my family and them being extremely reliable, I thought I'd be ok buying a used Honda from a local Honda dealer. I have owned the car approx ten days now and it has spent six of those back at the dealer. I am honestly sick to the back teeth of this car.
It has had a total of five faults with it, the three main ones being worn out brakes, the wipers not working correctly and finally, the AC will not work. I feel like I have been sold somebody elses cast off :worms:

The dealer still doesn't know what the fault with the AC is, now they're thinking it is the ECU itself. The compressor will not engage when you press the AC button. They have tried a live feed to the compressor clutch and it does engage. They have also tried regassing the system. I'm thinking a relay or pressure switch but apparently, these have been tested too.

Have any of you guys had to have the ECU replaced directly as a result of the AC not working?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A Honda approved used car should not have been sold to you in that condition. If they can't fix it you are entitled to a replacement but I guess you will have to make a fuss about its poor condition to get your money back.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Yep, I'm sure Honda's 30 day or 1000 miles money back, still applies.
Best let them do their best to fix it though, before going for that option.
AND they should give you a loan car.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's what I'm hoping for, that they do actually fix it. It just seems strange that the ECU could be faulty. They said that they have never had an instance of that :confused:

·
Train Driver Stu
323 Posts
If it engages with a live feed it is almost certainly a pressure problem, most probably pressure switch. Easy to bridge with a length of wire to test.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just been looking a the Civic tech data manual. There's quite a few control boxes not just the ECU. Which one controls the AC? Is it the Multiplex unit?

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my car is now fixed. They tried a new ECU and the AC worked. They then fitted the old ECU and the AC worked again! Must have needed powering down for a while.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently they checked all connections etc. The last resort was the ECU

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Apparently they checked all connections etc. The last resort was the ECU

Trust me... Suggest you get a signed job sheet detailing what they have done (they don't like giving away too much info if carried out under warranty) as if the issue comes back, then you have something to hit them with (funny how they forget) thus helping to reinforce you case...

Cheers,

Bob...

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't worry, it's all in order ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had intermittend faults of the AC, Some days the compressor did not engage, sometimes it did. After refilling it was still working sometimes and sometimes not, dealer found nothing wrong.
After all i changed the relay in the fuse box and all was in working order again.
Seems that the temperature changes of the relay in the box makes the thing britlle.
Its very hot in that box when the car is idle.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I'm still getting it intermittently (runs lovely and cold then just gives up and get slightly warm air). Despite getting it to work lovely on the drive, I pulled the relay (middle black one in the under bonnet fuesbox) and found it rattled when shaken, not something I think I've experienced with any other relay. Can anyone concur if this is normal or abnormal? Time for a new relay obviously either way...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I'm still getting it intermittently (runs lovely and cold then just gives up and get slightly warm air). Despite getting it to work lovely on the drive, I pulled the relay (middle black one in the under bonnet fuesbox) and found it rattled when shaken, not something I think I've experienced with any other relay. Can anyone concur if this is normal or abnormal? Time for a new relay obviously either way...
Just to give credit where its due. I had no aircon function (compressor not coming on) so I swapped out the relay (old omron relay v. rattly) and now its all tickety boo:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts