2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm looking to keep my brakes cool when I go to track days. Do you know if someone make an air duct or have an idea to make this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats a very good Idea!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm also looking at this:

Wondered if anyone knows if there are brake back plate ducts, which put the air directly onto the breaks, you can use some pipping and do it yourself to put air generally into the wheel bay, but would be much better to get the air directly onto the back of the disc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TDI south say they can fairly easily make a (flexible wire) pipe that will lead from the spot light holes and into the front wheel well, the problem is how do you securely attach it to the back of the brake disc, without a back plate which has a cold air feed attachment. They showed me an aftermarket one or a Nissan and a Mitsubishi, which was essentially the same as standard back plat, but had a raised hole you could attached said pipe too securely.

Just pushing air into the wheel well is better than nothing (probably), but it can cause some stability issues to be forcing high pressure air on to and around the front wheels in the confined space of the wheel arch at high speed.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Just pushing air into the wheel well is better than nothing (probably), but it can cause some stability issues to be forcing high pressure air on to and around the front wheels in the confined space of the wheel arch at high speed.
Well I’d trust Mugens design over a bit of tubing. Unless that tubing was extensively tested in a wind tunnel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
@TobasB that looks pretty interesting, I've emailed them to see if it will fit FN2.

@ghost_bhp yeah, I'm not found of the idea of just feeding air into the wheel arch.

Is that a Mugen kit you posted a pic of?

To clarify if would be the Mugen style vents on the spot light hole, and some custom piping through the bumper to the wheel arch. Doesn't need testing in a wind tunnel as it wouldn't be exposed to the outside of the car. Provided air could flow to the wheel arch it would be fine.

The issue is, making sure that air can then be fed directly onto the back of the brake disc.

As per the image Tobas has just shared.

300 cooling plates

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Yes that’s the Mugen aero bumper (same as the Mugen splitter)

It has vents on the grill part that cool the brakes. Hence the ducting furnishing the wheel well with airflow.
Also where the fog lights go is replaced with a scoop for the intake tract directly into the airbox.

All of this was extensively tested in a wind tunnel by Mugen. Even the rear wing is functional for cornering stability.

The whole aero package works well together. (Including the vented wings to aid in further cooling/flow)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see, still has the problem of how you attach the air to the actual brake discs though.

My car is worth £4k, or rather that's what I paid for it, so probably worth less now, and I'm already spending £2.5-3k on suspension and other track modifications, I wouldn't be spending that much on the Mugen bodykit to cool the brakes. I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested and is great, and the aero would give additional downforce and stability but in terms of return on investment for fun of a track car, I would not be paying out for that stuff. The whole point of a low value track car for me is not to invest too much money, because then you start fearing crashing and loosing all your investment. You want something you can really push without too much concern if you bin it.

Taking out the front spots and feeding air into the brake discs is a fairly low cost way of keeping the brakes cool, meaning you can stay out for a few laps longer and not have to keep coming in to let it cool down, is definitely something I'd consider.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
You wouldn't need to attach directly to the calliper as the pressure caused by the car moving would be enough to exchange the air in the wheel well... where the calliper and the brake disc is.

I'm planning to carbon skin my Mugen parts so that they are "disposable" wouldn't be hard to do the same in fibreglass too. So no real worries about having an off.

I've had a similar conversation recently regarding what I would do to a cheap FN toy/track car (almost bought another 😅):

Use a FN2 non GT model (no cruise control/ auto lights and wipers / AC)
  • Accord twin pot callipers and 320mm discs with braided lines,
  • 17' Evo wheels ET38 17x8 plenty of clearance for brakes,
  • semi-slick tyre.
  • Meister R coilovers (preferably second hand) for adjustability,
  • K&N panel filter & airbox intake tract with fog scoops,
  • Cheapest exhaust manifold with long primaries, think Japspeed do a cheap one, (wrapped or ceramic coated)
  • Tegiwa 70mm single exit exhaust,
  • Mapped either on EcuTek, although Hondata flashpro would be good for data logging on track, analyse your braking and corner speeds.
That would be a great fun car at not much of a high cost.

then If you were mechanically minded you could add the below for a better NA Car:
Change the timing chain and tensioner and at the same time:
  • TDI drop in Cams
  • FD2 Oil Pump (balancer shaft delete)
  • Clockwise Baffled Sump insert
  • RRC Inlet Manifold and RRC Throttle Body (move the power band up a few 100 rpms)

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
why dont you just remove the fog lights and the wheel arch liner, less weight and air can flow in to the wheel arch

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Would affect airflow. And cause a low pressure. It needs to be directed air as low down as possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts