2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a new air filter sounds daft..this is honda OEM aswell just over a year old

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are doing that mileage i'd change it every year - it's only £20 or so.
Yeh calculated it now lol I do 15k a year so bought a decent filter with discount £10 carparts4less

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,252 Posts
Honda Interval is 25k / 2 years, whichever is sooner.
I have it in writing from from Honda UK and a Honda approved dealer that the interval for the Air Filter on the 1.6 is 37K... Totally unacceptable in my opinion, so I'm now of the opinion that a dealer service history goes for nothing. I do about 20k per year and service every six month or 10K miles, whatever comes first, change Oil Filter every service and Air Filter Every Second.. Always go OEM with Oil and Air Filter, this time got a Crossland Cabin filter and it seems to let the air through better as I have a nice arctic blast coming through in this unfeasibly 25c+ Scottish weather :grin2:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Let weekend I decided to clean out the engine bay and check the filters, this is a photo of the pollen filter, which was, according to the service list, was changed last year, so in theory this is a years amount of dirt, I phoned the dealership and the reply was that it gets "very dirty quickly" so I asked them why they don't change it every year, the reply was "Honda said its good for 2 years" then they tried to sell me one at a discount for £45:crying:. So I've bought a cheap one to last till next year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
That £45 is a fitted price.
I just get them to do the basic oil & filter service - I can change air & pollen filters myself.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
That £45 is a fitted price.
I just get them to do the basic oil & filter service - I can change air & pollen filters myself.
I can change filters too, but while I'm on a 5 year service plan I like to make sure that they're not just box ticking, after the plan is up I will probably revert back to my own service and purchase a k&n filter.:smile3:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,252 Posts
I can change filters too, but while I'm on a 5 year service plan I like to make sure that they're not just box ticking, after the plan is up I will probably revert back to my own service and purchase a k&n filter.:smile3:
Do some digging on the site and you'll find after comprehensive experimenting that the OEM Air Filter is best... I think it was a member called Dweezle who did the testing. For Oil and Air filters I stick with OEM.. Pollen, Eurocarparts does one for a fraction of the cost. I do high mileage so service more often than Honda service schedule recommends. As for Oil, on my 1.6 Derv I always go for the recommended 0W-30 as long as it is C2 equivalent. I don't buy the Honda recommended "Earth Drems" oil as they will rip you right off.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Do some digging on the site and you'll find after comprehensive experimenting that the OEM Air Filter is best... I think it was a member called Dweezle who did the testing. For Oil and Air filters I stick with OEM.. Pollen, Eurocarparts does one for a fraction of the cost. I do high mileage so service more often than Honda service schedule recommends. As for Oil, on my 1.6 Derv I always go for the recommended 0W-30 as long as it is C2 equivalent. I don't buy the Honda recommended "Earth Drems" oil as they will rip you right off.
Thanks for that, just bought a europarts one yesterday and I agree with the oil:smile3:

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,825 Posts
Do some digging on the site and you'll find after comprehensive experimenting that the OEM Air Filter is best... I think it was a member called Dweezle who did the testing. For Oil and Air filters I stick with OEM...
Agree.

Former member 'Relic' also did a hell of a lot of air filter testing to conclusively prove that OEM was best. I miss his regular technical lectures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do some digging on the site and you'll find after comprehensive experimenting that the OEM Air Filter is best...
So true, I used a non oem filter and I had a weird sound coming from the inside unit. I’m not sure it was as snug a fit so stick with oem

·
3,705 Posts
So true, I used a non oem filter and I had a weird sound coming from the inside unit. I’m not sure it was as snug a fit so stick with oem
The noise 'feature' has been mentioned several times before for non OEM filters, but I suppose that peeps will try various alternatives in the quest for more bhp (however insignificant)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts