2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i was wandering if anyone could help me,i have had my 1.4 vivid blue perl civic for almost a year now and love it, despite all the problems like recalls, creaking dash board, wing mirror falling off, leaking boot,windscreen seal flapping in the wind after being in for a refit for recall, passenger window squealing and sticking, tapping shocks on back wheels. just to list a few minor issues.
but it is my most recent problem im wandering if anyone can help me with, recently ive noticed my front screen taking a long time to clear, so it was just last night i noticed the aircon is not working, because generally when it comes on ther is a dip in power and you can see the lights dim or if you are stoped you can feel the engine revs dip and see it on the revometer.
when i press the aircon button ac/on appears on the screen like normal, and when i press it again ac/off appears in the screen just like it should, but the ac is not turning on ,
is there a fuse i can check in the interior or engine compartment fuse box or could there be some other issue.
also when i turn on the engine in the morning check system appears on the dash i think this might not be related and could be a battery issue as it only happens on cold mornings or when the car has being sitting around all day ,
any help from fellow civic owners would be greatly appreiciated

·
Administrator
19,173 Posts
As wheelchair states it doesn't work when it's too cold. Pressing the screen clear button could be an option as that is what I do in the mornings as it's simply faster, then when it's clear and the temperature of the engine has risen sufficiently I press the auto aircon button and everything works fine.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i've tried the screen clear button, this is what i always use to clear the screen and found it great up until a few weeks ago, probably a couple of months ago now that i think of it. The aircon comes on auto with the screen clear button unless you turn it off manually. But even when the engine is hot there is still no aircon, and its not that cold over here in ireland, not like what you are getting in GB. there just seems to be no life in the air/con

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no nothing not a sound!! as i said before you would normally see or even feel it in idle when it comes on from the power draw it has , and as you say hear the compressor.

·
Administrator
19,173 Posts
if you feel you have a problem then I'm afraid it's back to the dealers :(

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The aircon should still cut in on de-mist mode to clear the screen, you are apparently suppose to use the aircon every week for around 10 minutes to keep the system running properly.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If the pressure in the system has dropped the compressor will not operate although it will still appear to "switch on" it may just need re-charging.
If air con is not used the seals dry up causing leaks dropping pressure.. Steve.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice ,I was looking at the refills for the aircon in halfords, they have pressure gauges on them to tell you if it needs refilling, but im going to wait and see if it works when the temperature rises. its to get into low double figures tomorrow. cross my fingers, i dont want a repair bill on my back just yet, the credit card bills from christmas still havent arrived.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Thanks for the advice ,I was looking at the refills for the aircon in halfords, they have pressure gauges on them to tell you if it needs refilling, but im going to wait and see if it works when the temperature rises. its to get into low double figures tomorrow. cross my fingers, i dont want a repair bill on my back just yet, the credit card bills from christmas still havent arrived.
If its still not working then, you do have a problem that will need sorting. Hopefully it'll fine in the milder weather.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i've found out what the problem with the aircon was.
i waited until the temps rose yesterday and nothing happened, so this morning i went to halfors and purchased a can of air con refrigerant, according to the gague on the can the pressure was very low, so i pushed the button until the gague went into the blue range meaning that it was enough, and like magic the compressor and fan came on.
working well now but i must have a leak in the system somewhere because when i checked the pressure later it had droped again. i see on the honda ireland site their doing an 18 point winter check for49.99 euro and you get 1 year membership to honda roadcare assistance, this covers tyres aircon suspensions etc, and if any work needs to be carried out you receive 10% discount on parts , so it might be worth booking it in, i've noticed in the last few weeks when pulling off the wheels tend to spin and im not accelerating hard, can be dangerous it happened pulling accross a main road yesterday doesn't matter if the roads are wet or dry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts