2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Girls

New here and was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue. I have been browsing the forums regarding this and it seems like a quite a few people have encountered this problem when jump starting their car that the alarm goes off and won't shut off.

I have tried several of the methods suggested on previous threads with no joy it seems very hit and miss on how people have solved this problem what works for one person will not necessarily work for another it seems.

I do apologise for creating another thread on this but a lot of the threads I was browsing were quite old, so I was wondering if any new light has been shed on this recently.

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a long read but I want to give us much info as possible.

Basically as you can guess by now, battery went flat after not using the car for a little while and I tried to jump it. Car started up but the cars alarm would go off then stop for a bit then go off again constantly. I left the car running and drove it around my works car park to give the battery a bit of charge. The time between the alarm cycles did seem to get longer the longer the car was running but still after about 30mins was not stopping.

I got onto he internet and quickly found this was a common issue, I tried all combination of things suggested, locking doors form inside, manually locking once then unlocking twice with key, holding key fob down for x amount of seconds etc etc. No joy. It was getting late so decided to call it a day and try again the next day.

Came back the next day with a friend who had a cheap car diagnostic tool to see if any errors would show on that. Opened car using fob and alarm started going off again. Now there was enough charge left on the battery to open the car but not to start it. So we hooked it up and tried to jump it and now another issue kicked in! The car would was turning over but would not start up! Even though the first time I jumped it, it started up no problem. So I don't know if this is now the immobiliser kicking in and preventing the car from being started but I am now left with a car that won't start up and the alarm goes off any time I try and do anything with it.

Also his tool did not show throw up any errors but I guess a proper Honda tool is needed really.

Phoned up the stealer, and they want £60 per hour just to diagnose the problem and have read all kind of horror stories about them wanting to charge people close to £700 for a new alarm!!! to people who have had this. Tried to explain that this seems to be a Honda issue with the earlier models software and a simple internet search would throw up loads of results about this is he was not aware of it already but his response each time was 'Impossible to say without us looking at it and we will charge you for it'

I think this is really unfair if its a known issue with Honda or the alarm. It is criminal to make a car that can't be jump started and then charge to fix it!

So basically I was wondering if anyone had any advice, info just anything that may help me sort this problem out without having to fork out an arm and a leg.

Also I have replaced a flat battery on this car in the past with no issues at all, it is literally just jumping it that has caused this. So if I went out and bought a new battery and just replaced it would this solve it? or is it a case of once you have jumped it the damage has been done?

I apologise for such long thread and I thank anyone who has taken the time to read through it. I just wanted to give as much info as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
as you have probably already read thee are a few things that can cause what you have

starting from the top the alarm might be to do with it's own built in battery not taking a charge
what might have happened is the alarm internal battery might have gone flat along with the car battery and once you have put charge in the car battery by jump starting it the alarm battery migh not have recovered and still be flat
there are how to's on the forum on how to change the alarm battery it would mean accessing the alarm and checking it

another fault than can cause the alarm to constantly go off is the micro switch on the bonnet catch not doing it's job
again there are how to's on how to check for this and how to lock the car with the alarm disabled

as far as the engine just turning over and not firing
is there a flashing key light coming up on the dash ?

if so it could mean the ECU has lost it's key code which can happen on early 8th gen civics when jump starting
that would be a trip to a dealer to get that sorted out

if no flashing key on the dash it could be the emergency cut off switch located behind the dash on the drivers side
you need to remove the dash cover on the side of the dash where the drivers door closes to access it

then there's the obvious like it's not run out of fuel :)

if it's non of these and your not that mechanicaly minded your gonna have to let somebody who is take a look

good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cosmica, thanks for taking the time to read that and replying I know it was a bit of a long one.

There are a few options on there I was not aware of so will give them ago, see if I have any luck.

P.S No it has not run out of fuel :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem last night! I've jump start the car and today it was not starting and the immobilizer lamp was flashing! I had a diagnose on the ecu for : immobilizer faulty.. So... My only chance is Honda?? Tomorrow morning i have an appointment with a technisian to check it out..

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I had the same problem last night! I've jump start the car and today it was not starting and the immobilizer lamp was flashing! I had a diagnose on the ecu for : immobilizer faulty.. So... My only chance is Honda?? Tomorrow morning i have an appointment with a technisian to check it out..
I had the same issue with mine towed to Honda who charged me £140 to recode the ecu I'm sure

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with mine towed to Honda who charged me £140 to recode the ecu I'm sure
great!! the problem is that Honda in Cyprus never worked on a civic like mine (2,2 diesel) because they sell only petrol cars.. i import it by my self..

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simple fix for your issues.
Take to Honda and get them to recode your keys to immo and MICU. This is because the car has lost its code to the keys due the the jump start. That will fix the starting issue.

For the alarm going off all the time you need to reset the alarm system you can do this yourself. The procedure for this is as follows.

Key in ignition
Doors shut
Ignition on then press lock button on the key
Ignition off
Ignition on then press lock again
Ignition off
repeat this until the door lock makes the sound of it locking as soon as you hear the press the unlock button on the key to confirm the reset.
This will stop the alarm from sounding.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts