2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm no hater, I'm a lover
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been doing some research over the past fortnight since my alarm started going off at random on my 2007 FN2 Type R GT.

I've rechecked all seals etc, everything is closed, can't spot any insects inside etc...

Early this morning (4.30am) it went off again. Later in the morning I tried to check the voltage of the battery (without running the car since the alarm sounded) to see if the battery was faulty. There looks like there's some sort of corrosive substance on the posts (see photos below). The battery is only 3-4 years old but this looks like it could be an issue? So I think I'll replace the battery first and clean off the connectors before installing the new one to rule this out.

I've also locked the car today disabling the internal sensors to see if it will still go off. If it does then it rules out anything internal?



 

·
I'm no hater, I'm a lover
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just noticed that the battery connectors don't fit the post terminals very well, the terminals are too small? - it looks like a mechanic has inserted a small piece of metal between the post and the connector to allow it to grip enough to hold. Bit of a random question but are the connectors and post sizes all the same across batteries/cars?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,080 Posts
The 'corrosive covering' might just be some form of protection the garage applied.

I'd unplug it all and give it a thorough clean and see if you can get the battery terminals to fit better. Also check the battery earth to the chassis is in good condition, remove clean/sand and refit. Btw disconnecting the battery will loose the radio stations and recent trip MPG/etc.

Battery terminals are constantly different, as your terminals aren't a perfect match have a good look at the battery rating to see it's appropriate for your make/model/year.

Isn't the bonnet catch a common alarm fault of 8g's? - do a bit of research as my cold/cough has my head befuddled.

Good luck.
 

·
I'm no hater, I'm a lover
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Farqui, I've read about the bonnet catch being possibly to blame but am not sure what I should be disconnecting to test, I think a bit of homework is going to be required! Looking underneath the catch itself on the car body there is cabling to what seems like the catch but don't want to disconnect something I'm not sure of!

I did notice that the battery looked that way after it had been in for a service. To be sure I've ordered parts - shims, proper cleaning tool etc l, that way I can be sure.

Thanks for your advice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,080 Posts
For the bonnet catch, disconnect the electrical connector to the actual bonnet catch?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top