2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum so be gentle with me :)

I have a 2006 Civic 2.2 EX and the damn alarm is driving me nuts, have done some reseach and everything is pointing to the bonnet switch so we disconnected that and no joy

Basically I lock the car and usually after about a minute the stupid alarm goes off, I disabled the ultrasonics to no avail and it seems related to one of the doors or the boot although the interior and boot lights all go off

The remotes work as they should and I've had some limited success with slamming all the doors and boot hard and sometimes it works ok without going off

Before I go to the dealer or purchase a HDS has anyone have any suggestions and I've also heard the sensitivity can be adjusted although the shock sensor doesn't seem overly sensitive

I've also tried disconnecting the battery to reset the system

Any ideas befotre I start spending money would be welcome

Thanks

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
First off disconnecting the battery won't do anything. I had a problem with mine last week and it continued to scream without power.

My fault ended up being a dodgy siren and it wiped my immobiliser code so be very careful. New siren, £522 plus VAT and labour. Bite the bullet and get Honda to check it out. I was told its a common fault.

Reactions: gxcars

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily I know a friendly dealer who said they might plug it in for free, I just hope it's not the siren or I'll be off down the scrap yard to find a replacement, the majority of these sirens are nothing special I had one go one my audi and that was about £200 from audi but I got an aftermarket one and fitted that for about £20

Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Good stuff! Dealer was very reasonable with me. I'd never have got the new siren from him. Down to the breakers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well been doing a bit of research if it is as I suspect the siren then it's a cobra siren with a part number 4B7888 or 898 and it looks the same as the one fitted to the Renaults, I'm going to call my auto sparks in the morning and get him to speak to cobra about it.

Does anyone know where apart from the dealer I can get a wiring diagram from becuase I;m pretty sure that siren is nothing special and I can just swap it out with something similar,

Or does anyone know if I can just unplug the stupid thing so I can lock the car without it going off?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm probably going to have to buy a HDS tool, I run a small garage and my 2 mechanics are both ex Honda main dealer so it probably makes sense, has anyone any experience of these clone tools that are available as at just over £100 they make good sense, although my current snap on tool is very good it wont read the alarm.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
How did you disconnect the bonnet switch?? It is my understanding that the switch needs to be closed (short circuit) for the alarm to think that the bonnet is closed.

Have you done the same with the boot - I had a similar problem and found the boot wasn't shutting properly - a quick adjustment of the rubber stopper things and all is fine :)

FYI the alarm has it's own battery so disconnecting the car battery will not stop the alarm sounding - makes sense when you think about it ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we plugged the car in this morning with our delphi scanner which reads the alarm, and it gives no faults.

Phoned my chap at Honda who said immediately "oh it's the siren they all go" either buy a new one £503 plus vat or just unplug it.

So it's unplugged and no more alarm noises and everything works fine. I then ring cobra who tell me that the system is a cobra 3868 2-1 upgrade, the siren looks like a generic one but in any case the whole system is £120 from cobra or £75 on ebay

what a rip off Mr Honda I can get a whole new alarm FITTED for £200 I'm going to ring Honda customer service this afternoon and see what they have to say and post their reply here so watch this space

As regards the question on the bonnet switch it can be left unplugged as the circuit is closed when it's not plugged in and will not trigger the alarm

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well we plugged the car in this morning with our delphi scanner which reads the alarm, and it gives no faults.

Phoned my chap at Honda who said immediately "oh it's the siren they all go" either buy a new one £503 plus vat or just unplug it.

So it's unplugged and no more alarm noises and everything works fine. I then ring cobra who tell me that the system is a cobra 3868 2-1 upgrade, the siren looks like a generic one but in any case the whole system is £120 from cobra or £75 on ebay

what a rip off Mr Honda I can get a whole new alarm FITTED for £200 I'm going to ring Honda customer service this afternoon and see what they have to say and post their reply here so watch this space

As regards the question on the bonnet switch it can be left unplugged as the circuit is closed when it's not plugged in and will not trigger the alarm
If the bonnet switch is unplugged, surely it is just two wires going to a plug connector so must be 'open circuit' ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The circuit is open when the switch is closed (ie completing the circuit) which is only when the bonnet is up so disconnecting the plug means that you can never close the circuit thus triggering the alarm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just had a call from my Honda dealer offering me a whopping £100 discount so the siren is only £422 plus vat now!!

Honda customer care get the dealer to call me as I'm less likely to yell at the nice man at the dealer who has been trying to help me

Another call to Honda very shortly......

·
Registered
607 Posts
The circuit is open when the switch is closed (ie completing the circuit) which is only when the bonnet is up so disconnecting the plug means that you can never close the circuit thus triggering the alarm
In that case then, remove the plug from the bonnet switch, does it have 2 cores ? If YES link these out and try alarm. This would then prove/disprove faulty bonnet switch.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Funny there seems to be a lot of issues with the alarm. Last night we were woken up at 3am by the Civic alarm and it just kept going off. In the end had to leave it unlocked as even locking with key seemed to set it off! :mad:

Taking it to dealers today for some harsh words! Hoping its not going to be a large bill when the parts are cheap elsewhere...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you short the bonnet contacts on the loom (there are 2) you get a bonnet open message, the only way to tell if there is a fault is to plug the car in, the alarm will function normally if you have it disconnected, you simply have no bonnet protection which is neither here or there as really most people want to protect the interior.

I will hopefully have a solution by Friday for all of those who like me are affected by what is clearly a manufacturing defect

I'm just waiting for some voltage specifications from Cobra and then I can work out the best way to correct the problem either by repairing the alarm or finding a compatible part number to swap it with

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Well I went easy on the dealer to begin with... needed a few bits done anyway so got them to diagnose it. First they said it was something to do with the wing mirrors (electric-folding) then internal ultrasonics. They have disabled the ultrasonics and so far so good.

Found it strange that you can't lock the car without setting the alarm! I'm sure on my S2000 I used to lock it with key and no alarm activated...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Unfortunately not - first click locks the doors and arms the alarm, second click sets the dead locks on (you cannot open the door even with the key).

You can deactivated ultrasonic sensors by pulling the handle on outside of drivers door and flip the lock switch on the inside to lock (while still pulling the handle) then shut the door and release the handle. This locks the car but doesn't activate the alarm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just an update on this, I've had 2 visits to the Honda dealer today firstly let me say how helpful Brayley Honda in Hemel Hempstead have been, they have tried 2 seperate reset procedures on the alarm neither of which seem to have been 100% succesful, but it appears that the siren may not be at fault, apparently if the batteries are gone in the siren then it just goes off continually I had disconnected mine and the indicators were still flashing but nothing was showning in diagnostics.

I'm going to do some further testing tomnorrow as I think it may be the main car battery not holding it's voltage after a long run and the system sensing a drop, we've checked the doors, bonnet, tailgate and ultrasonics none of which are causing a problem although diagnostics did initially show a problem with the hazard warning switch.

So I'm going to hook up a couple of things tomorrow and see where we go from there

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.