2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned my June 2018 Civic Sport for approximately 6 weeks and covered 1000 miles.

This morning I opened the car with the remote and the alarm went off, no external lights were flashing.

Locking or unlocking or starting the car would not stop the alarm. All of the doors and windows were closed correctly.

I eventually drove off in the car, while driving the car the siren was sounding approximately every 3 minutes for 30 seconds at a time. I drove straight to my local Honda Dealership, they immediately took the car into the workshop and gave me a lift home.

The result being that the security system software needed a complete reset, just drove the car home and it seems ok, has anyone else experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine doing this now. A call to dealer suggested disconnecting battery for few mins but apparently its a known fault. Waiting to reconnect battery to see if its help stop it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this same problem twice. Very embarrassing and very annoying. Took the car to Honda service centre and they said they couldn’t diagnose it so couldn’t fix it and ‘hoped’ it wouldn’t happen again. The first time it happened the alarm stopped after the AA arrived and disconnected the battery to reset everything. The ‘fix’ lasted two weeks but unfortunately happened again today so I disconnected the battery and reset it which stopped the siren.

Taking it into Honda tomorrow to demand they fix it. This shouldn’t be happening on a new car and it’s unacceptable to say it can’t be fixed. It’s clearly a known fault if multiple people in this forum have the issue.

Hopefully this time they take it more seriously. Very disappointed and lost faith in the car and with Honda having no solution. The first time they said that because the alarm siren wasn’t going off at the time and because the diagnostics didn’t log anything, they can’t do anything.

Please tell me you guys don’t actually drive around with a spanner to disconnect the battery when it happens on a brand new car? This is our first Honda and bought it for reliability having struggled with other cars in the past and I wish we hadn’t now if this is the solution.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Honda Solution carry a spanner to disconnect battery 🤣🤣
I hope they include a nice little shelf in the engine bay for tools and small cans of simoniz, oil and fuel on the face lift :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had same on mine. They replace the sensor unit on my car up by the map lights and it has solved it for me. No false alarms since.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Honda Solution carry a spanner to disconnect battery 🤣🤣
Car thief solution as well. Surprised the alarm doesn't have an internal back up battery.

Opens up the possibility of disabling the bonnet switch and activating the bonnet catch from outside, disconnecting the battery lead. Disconnecting the alarm, then reconnecting the battery and driving off.

It might sound convoluted, but car thieves have been known to go to similar lengths in the past. That said, these days, they'd probably just steal the keys or amplify the code as it's easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have owned my June 2018 Civic Sport for approximately 6 weeks and covered 1000 miles.

This morning I opened the car with the remote and the alarm went off, no external lights were flashing.

Locking or unlocking or starting the car would not stop the alarm. All of the doors and windows were closed correctly.

I eventually drove off in the car, while driving the car the siren was sounding approximately every 3 minutes for 30 seconds at a time. I drove straight to my local Honda Dealership, they immediately took the car into the workshop and gave me a lift home.

The result being that the security system software needed a complete reset, just drove the car home and it seems ok, has anyone else experienced the same problem.
Mine started doing this yesterday,I too ended up driving the car with the alarm going.It eventually stopped doing it by itself.So far it hasn’t done it again today but if it does I’ll try disconnecting the battery etc before taking it back to Honda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had this issue just appear on my car. Was there any update from honda about this issue? Or shall I take a trip to the dealership?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got this problem today. I'm just about done with this car. I have had 4 known faults so far and only had it 3 weeks. It's a year old but new to me. My old 57 plate civic was far less annoying even after 10 years.

7 o'clock this morning I must've woke up loads of neighbours. A few people on FB got a software update from Honda to "fix" it. Did any of you get it?

Might be my map light sensors as I think it stopped this morning when I covered them with my hands for about 10 seconds. I thought I'd try disabling them tonight but pushing the button doesn't give the red light it's meant to. Do you guys get a red light if you push the internal sensor button?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes. The button lights up red. But my poxy internal roof light doesn't come on when the door opens, but it does light if the switch is toggled on.
That's annoying. Hope you fix it.

Well my red light on the sensor button wont come on. I started the engine. Switched off. Key out and pushed the button. Just stayed white. Must be a faulty sensor unit or something. Oh well. Something else for the dealer. Honestly in 3 weeks of ownership I've had so many issues that if it wasn't so good looking and great to drive I'd be getting rid. And I've had civics for over 10 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts