2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i washed my car today and when i got to the rear lights i noticed all around the lights under the plastic its all green. Has anyone else experienced this and how on earth do you clean it off???

thanks Liz x

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't get at it to clean it off. :(

I had all my rear lights replaced last week under warranty because of this problem. Take it into your dealer and report it to them. :)

really wow that sucks my warranty has just run out last month, do you think if i kick up a fuss they may still do it? its going in for some warranty work on the 17th (parts were ordered before it ran out)

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
That's a pain :(

Having algae in your lights is not good, I hope you get it sorted......somehow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks horrible and surely it shouldn't happen, it wouldn't be so bad if you could get at it to clean it off but i guess the only way would be to take the lights out

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
it looks horrible and surely it shouldn't happen, it wouldn't be so bad if you could get at it to clean it off but i guess the only way would be to take the lights out
That's going to be a bit of a job, isn't it?

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
Yep I have to agree, ask you dealer if there is any chance under warranty. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not read everything on this thread, BUT go to a horse place and get some Horse Shampoo(yes it sounds daft)make sure you ask for the stuff with Anti Algae stuff in it, it certainly gets rid of/kills moss on soft tops.

Rob

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Not read everything on this thread, BUT go to a horse place and get some Horse Shampoo(yes it sounds daft)make sure you ask for the stuff with Anti Algae stuff in it, it certainly gets rid of/kills moss on soft tops.

Rob
Access to the moss is too difficult, so this probably wont work.
Best going to the dealer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Access to the moss is too difficult, so this probably wont work.
Best going to the dealer
I know Robbo, Ive seen the small tolerances, but if your car is out of warranty, it may help someone, or even as a preventive measure to stop it coming at all, I've not seen where it is exactually, but I'll guess just under the clear lip where you can always see the bubbles after you've washed it.

As you say go to the dealer but, it needs preventing, they won't fit new forever. or clean them forever, one day someone will have to pay, I'd guess 150 quid for a strip and clean at the dealers and a day without the car.

If you don't have algae now, you might never have it, you will never know 'til it's there, if you have had it before you will get it again, get some shampoo and kill it

Cheers

Rob

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Green Algae around rear light clusters

This is obviously an ongoing problem as Honda have just agreed warranty replacement on my 2 year car which if it recurs could become expensive when the warranty expires. May well be that new units have a design change to prevent this.

Without knowing the construction, it seems daft that the algae is not accessible to clean out. Mine also seem to have some pine cone seeds which have worked their way in which also need to be removed - hopefully.

Will keep the FORUM posted on the outcome.

Ramsay

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All

Thanks for all your replies, i have been in touch with Honda UK today and i am very pleased with the outcome. They have offered to take the light units out and clean them all and then replace them free of charge!! :) i didn't think they would do much as i am out of my warranty so to even offer to do this i was amazed. i know this will obviously happen again with time but at least they will get one good clean without me having to pay for it lol.

They said the 09 models have exactly the same design so they cannot replace them with anything different.

Anyway just thought i would let you know the outcome :)

Liz x

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Anyway just thought i would let you know the outcome :)
That's a great result. As you know I had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the same problem and was informed the design was still the same.

Next time I'm just going to remove them and clean them myself. :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you're into DIY, it's quite easy to remove the lights, clean and kill the algae with a mild bleach/soap mixture, and consider applying silicone grease to reduce water ingress. Should take around 90 minutes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is it really that easy to remove the lights?? i did think about trying it but i thought it would be too hard. i will get honda to do it this time and if i still have the car when it happens again then i will try it myself :) xx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts