2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew the fuses for headlights and after changing the EML came on. Took the car out for a drive and everything just came on at once, the power steering also failed and the displays started to flicker.
I turned the car off and it struggled to start, got it running but scared to drive it.
I also disconnected the ground cable for the batter fully, wondering if it's battery related.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does sound like your battery maybe low, is it quite old?
Not sure on the age, only had it 1 year.
If this helps, my journey to work is only 15 mins so it might not be getting a charge. Also, when I was checking the fuses, I started the car about 8 times.
I'm really confused as to why the EML has come on and the car gone into limp mode because of the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
if you can start it again check the battery voltage while the engine is running it should read around 14.2 volts
hold the revs at around 2,000 rpm to be sure the alternator is working ( or get somebody else to while you read the battery voltage )
if the battery voltage doesn't rise to 14 volts + while doing the above it looks like you need an alternator

stop the engine and leave the car alone for about an hour then check the battery voltage again while the engine is off it should read at least 12.6 volts better still is to leave the car overnight and check it in the morning before you put the keys in the ignition
if it reads lower than 12 volts youv'e got a dead cell and the battery needs replacing

good luck...

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
my journey to work is only 4 mins and mine stays charged ok
how did you blow fuse ?
could you have done something that's affected other electrics

either charge battery or take it for good half hour or more drive but don't drive on tick over you need to up the revs a little to get a good charge

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't check the volts right now, car just fully died while driving, doesn't start.

The ground plug for the lights had come out and when I turned them on it blew the fuse.

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think it might be the alternator.
I charged the battery last night, was fully flat. Connected it back up this morning and the car starts without issue, however after a few seconds it cuts out.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
We had a fault with our alternator on our FRV 2.2 icdti, it eventually gave up the ghost and drained all the power from the car through shorting out. It even drained the RAC's booster pack when that was connected, so if on the way out like ours it will be sapping the battery.
I'd go with checking all connections are clean first along with as suggested above checking the voltage while the engine is running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts