2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my eye on an aftermarket 'high flow' alloy radiator. Is the oem one a copper/brass job or an alloy? Thinking that something lighter that can also cool quicker is a win win. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Are you having cooling problems?

If you were tracking the car constantly and the engine was running higher than normal temps, I'd say go for it.

But I'd be looking at an oil cooler first in that case.

Would it actually be any lighter, as its high flow, surely it will be larger core wise so would hold a larger volume of water? so probably not any lighter.

you could go for a cool running thermostat, or get an OEM item from a hot country like Australia or South Africa. but then you might have warming up problems with the car as it wouldn't get up to temp properly...

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,065 Posts
Larger capacity, takes more energy to heat the volume of water than a smaller radiator. :)

We can supply alloy ones. check out trader area for discount codes too :)

The Moff Shop | TMS Motorsport
Yes but if you're not having any cooling issues don't bother, there is no reason to fit one.

If the rad holds an increased volume of water over standard then it will be heavier too.

Unless you're having issues, it's just expensive engine bay bling.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes but if you're not having any cooling issues don't bother, there is no reason to fit one.

If the rad holds an increased volume of water over standard then it will be heavier too.

Unless you're having issues, it's just expensive engine bay bling.
I would have to agree :)

Only counter to that I suppose would be that a newer radiator is better than an older one, but then you could replace with another standard one (we don't sell them)

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,065 Posts
I would have to agree :)

Only counter to that I suppose would be that a newer radiator is better than an older one, but then you could replace with another standard one (we don't sell them)
Please don't think I'm having a go about it either. I thought fitting a bigger dual core full width alloy radiator to my DC2 turbo would keep it nice and cool on a hot day on track.NOPE! Because of the extra volime of water in the rad it just delayed the time before the overheat protection kicked in on the ECU.

The problem was actually the bloody intercooler restricting the flow of air to the rad and oil cooler. As soon as I moved it from in front of the air dam on the bumper, temps dropped away to 86C driving and only creeped up a little in traffic instead of 105C

·
Registered
598 Posts
The radiator was doing its job if delayed heat build up ,Oil cooler needed next. That is always hotter than the water :)

If you reduce the temps of the oil, the radiator doesn't get as much heat soak, and doesn't need to work as hard.

We have done some testing on this on various cars over the years.

Something that doesn't always help, especially on turbo cars is the amount of ignition advance mapper runs, that can generate a huge amount of heat.

Part of my personal interest all of this. Over last 10 years, tried lots of different ways with cars, trialled them on track, dyno etc.

Always happy to have a chat about it. Very interesting subject, when you get in to all the other variables too.

I'll get details in the build section of our race car when I get a chance. That runs just over 600 rear hub power, never see oil above 110 or water above 90, and that gets a lot of hard use :)

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,065 Posts
The radiator was doing its job if delayed heat build up ,Oil cooler needed next. That is always hotter than the water :)

If you reduce the temps of the oil, the radiator doesn't get as much heat soak, and doesn't need to work as hard.

We have done some testing on this on various cars over the years.

Something that doesn't always help, especially on turbo cars is the amount of ignition advance mapper runs, that can generate a huge amount of heat.

Part of my personal interest all of this. Over last 10 years, tried lots of different ways with cars, trialled them on track, dyno etc.

Always happy to have a chat about it. Very interesting subject, when you get in to all the other variables too.

I'll get details in the build section of our race car when I get a chance. That runs just over 600 rear hub power, never see oil above 110 or water above 90, and that gets a lot of hard use :)
Yes post stuff up.

I also had a 19row thermostatically controlled mocal oil cooler- behind the intercooler. Got a different idea for my new set up anyway.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic slightly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts