2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My car has only started to dowhat could be described as a very similar sound of an old bicycle sound when the brakes are touching the wheel.

It doesn't seem to happen when braking, it just sounds like something is touching (the breaks are in constant contact at low speed or something).

It only happens when moving from stopped or when coming close to a stop and losing speed.

If required I can try and record a video, but any input as to what it may be would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stone between disk and splash/back plate?
I feel like it's something like that, but honestly I'm quite a noob mechanically with cars and haven't got much idea.

I recorded a video of the sound. Kind of feels like it's coming from front right alloy but unsure.

·
Super Moderator
1,634 Posts
Go for a drive and check the heat coming from that wheel compared to the others.
Worst case scenario is a stuck caliper which will be obvious as you won't be able to get near it for the heat compared to the other wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How much pad material is left? Backing plate rubbing on the disc. Does it sound metal on metal?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The standard pads normally have a small metal strip that starts to rub on the disc when they are ready for changing

These will only make the sound when braking
IMG_20200917_180334.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd check a couple of things out, but you'd need to drive down a super quiet/private road and go slowly to trigger that noise and lean as far out the window as you can, or get someone to walk alongside you to see if it's front or rear.

If rear:
I had a similar but not quite as loud noise coming from my O/S rear, the rear shield looked a bit tighter near one part of the disk, wedged a chisel in it and levered it out, noise gone.

Secondly is sticking pads/seized pistons. Again more commonplace on the rears.
Depending on how caked up your rear calipers look, it could be the brake pad retainer clip seating area on the caliper.
Mine were pretty caked up with rust and so tight under the clip, the inside pads couldn't glide in and out, infact it was a struggle to get new pads in/old ones out.
Had to use a triangle file to buff them away so the clip seated better and pads wouldn't stick/stress the pistons.

Could of course be many other factors, but having someone walk alongside the car would be a huge help to determine where the noise could be coming from.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the messages. I'll give walking alongside it a go.
I noticed today that it actually feels like the car loses speed when the noise happens. It's quite noticeable when you're going extremely slow, the noise starts and it'll bring the car to a stop if you dont put your foot on the throttle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts