2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am after some advice

I have recently picked up a full set of 18" really nice looking alloys and in the process of getting them refurbished and sprayed to go on my car.

Since I have had them, I have received some negative comments regarding swapping my 16" OEMS to 18" after market.

One of the comments was it will apparently devalue my car :confused:

Can anyone please advise me what shall I think of that?? Is it that bad to replace standard alloys for something bigger and nicer looking ? What are the pros and cons ?

My intention is to use them with manufacturer specified tyre size so it is not like I am going to stretch tyres or anything.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Hello,

I am after some advice

I have recently picked up a full set of 18" really nice looking alloys and in the process of getting them refurbished and sprayed to go on my car.

Since I have had them, I have received some negative comments regarding swapping my 16" OEMS to 18" after market.

One of the comments was it will apparently devalue my car :confused:

Can anyone please advise me what shall I think of that?? Is it that bad to replace standard alloys for something bigger and nicer looking ? What are the pros and cons ?

My intention is to use them with manufacturer specified tyre size so it is not like I am going to stretch tyres or anything.

Thanks a lot :)
Ca't see how it would devalue the car when you can just put the 16s back on if you ever went to sell it?

Some people prefer a standard car when buying, but it would be easy to do some sort of part ex with a standard set of wheels on here if you no longer had the 16s and wanted to sell the car as standard.

Put whatever wheels on you want! It won't add value to the car, but it certainly won't make the car worth any less!

EDIT: Also, cons of going from 16" to 18" wheels will be that the ride might be a little rougher going over speed bumps and pot holes. That's about it, though, i think.

What wheels are you intending to put on? Got any pictures?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheels

Thank you for the advice :)

I heard about ride harshness but that does not worry me at all. Yes sure, here they are when I got them. One slightly bend on the rim but it is getting sorted out at the moment. Will be choosing colours for the outer rim soon :)

Will there be quality difference between OEM and after market ? I know OEM is always the best in terms of durability but surely they will all be the same unless ofc you get cheepo ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Those are a nice set of wheels! What colour car are they going on (On mobile so can't see sig pictures)?

OEM are fine (I think they are made by enkei) but there a lot of brands that provide wheels just as strong but can be a reasonable amount lighter than OEM wheels.

Do you know how much they'll stick out compared to your OEM set? And what brand are they?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brand

Thank you...I am thinking to have nice metallic silver outer and keep black in the middle. This will go well with my silver civic :)

At the moment they are chrome outer but due to chrome being a pain when it comes to repairs and refurbs I was advised to spray all outer lips for around £75 - 100.

I am not sure about how much they going to stick out as I was told they are 8J but that is all I know I am afraid :(

They do seem to be in quite nice shape so will see how they turn out and hopefully will be on soon. I am looking out to see what brand they are but someone suggested they are wolfs but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
They should look nice on a silver civic!

There might be some specs written on the back of the wheel somewhere. It should tell you the manufacturer and the size/offset. Maybe even the model. It's the offset you really need to know, though, as that will dictate if they'll fit or not!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The guy who sold it had them on the same car so I hope it fits

I do agree cavalrystu that the cars with after markets require looking twice when buying that then again it all depends on what is the car :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Change mine a few years back, from 16"-18". Can't feel any difference on ride still crashy, ha ha ha! but improved a lot on handling and looks really nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts