2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was suspicious about my VSA not working at all... In the past years I am not that much into spirited driving anymore, but sometimes in some B roads I push the car to the limit and I never got any kind of VSA assistance.

Today, I just pushed the car 2 times "near the limit" when cornering - nothing special, really, I was about 30 ou 40 mph at most, and at the 2nd corner the rear went away, in a kinda scary way, without any notice. I managed to stay in control and countersteered 2 times, avoiding the rail which was not that far away.

I just thought that, if the car suddenly would grip when the car was pointing the rail, maybe that would lead to a nasty crash. :confused:

So... no VSA at all again :( didn't felt any kind of assistance. Maybe I should report this to Honda so they check if the system is working, since the car is still in warranty?

I know that the traction control system works, as if I push the car in the wet, on a steep hill the warning sign blips in the dash and I feel the car doing it's electronic wizardry to find traction. But when cornering I see no sign of VSA.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Your right it should cut in to stop you spinning out. Id get it checked at Honda as it could save your life one day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just pull the handbrake on an empty parking lot while turning, you should feel it intervening. If you can turn the car sideways and nothing happens, then there's definitely something wrong with the VSA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. I will contact Honda and see what they have to tell me, if they have a way to test it easily.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
A very easy way to test if it's working is to flick it left and right continuously on a straight bit of dual carriageway and no more than 20 mph with a constant level throttle. It should start to intervene after the second turn of the wheel as you'll have loaded the side up that you're now turning into. Good old Scandinavian Flick. The system should start slowing the car down even though you're maintaining a steady throttle.

The wife's 1.8 EX lights up the VSA very easily like this.

Obviously if yours isn't working you could end up spinning, so just be a bit wary of it. The system on the Scooby is very lax and I've had it sideways both intentionally and unintentionally this way, but it should be consistent across the Civic platform. It saved me in the FN2 on one memorable occasion when I swerved to avoid a pheasant on the A14 heading to the JAE reps meeting a couple of years ago. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts