2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the honda SSD clarion sat nav. Its 50w per channel.

I'm interested in the alpine R 16.5 cm or the hertz 16.5 speakers for an upgrade.

Does anyone have any opinions on which are better?

Not being amped currently.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I got hertz with the tweakers for the front. No amp needed for this model and there ok. I also got some for the rear. But you can't go overly mad with them though on high settings, cause they can't take it. I can't really comment on alpine. But my brother has a alpine head unit and he decided to go with hertz speakers and it sounds brilliant but he does have a amp. Hertz are cheap and good sound. If you wanna go mad, you best want to get amp later on. However saying all this, I tested out the hertz against the stock and there isn't much difference to be honest with you, not really worth upgrading unless you plan to setup a amp.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought Apline SPR-60's in the end for both front and rear doors.

Being delivered Monday.

Can't wait to fit them.

I think the Clarion SSD is slightly better powered than the standard OEM honda unit.

Will be interesting to hear the difference.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Hertz are not cheap. As with anything, they have entry level range speakers but even those are going to be way better than any Sony or crap brands. I have Hertz HSK 165 XL, they are £250 and top of the hi energy range. There are even better ones in the mille range but even these, in my system with a high end amp and HU they will blow your mind like you've never heard before unless you are an audiophile. Alpine are also reputable, better with HUs IMO. But no modern Hertz speaker will be crap. Even entry level ones are good. It's probably not sounding good because you're HU or amp gains are too high or not enough. Mine are 150w RMS all day, they suggest you supply even more but with only 100w mine sound pretty damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Oh and sorry to go off in a tangent OP, those speakers you bought will be fine. Although it depends how good your clarion HU is really. As one guy said above its not worth spending a lot without amp and/or better HU.
If you've bought 2 sets of components for front and rear then I don't know where you are going to mount the tweeters on the rear door cards. Send the 2nd set back and buy the coaxial equivalent.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Also they go so loud that you'll be running out of the car before they reach full volume. If it appears they "can't handle" high volume it's because your HU and or amp is maxing out. Not the speakers !

I agree with this as I have hertz (with amp) and they are seriously loud......I have 2 Jul audio subs that nearly pop the windscreen when turned up and the door speakers still sound crisp and clear even at max power

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and sorry to go off in a tangent OP, those speakers you bought will be fine. Although it depends how good your clarion HU is really. As one guy said above its not worth spending a lot without amp and/or better HU.
If you've bought 2 sets of components for front and rear then I don't know where you are going to mount the tweeters on the rear door cards. Send the 2nd set back and buy the coaxial equivalent.

I bough the coaxial version. Not component.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello did you buy the adaptor for the speakers in doors? and do FD speaker adaptor fit in FK?

Cheers
nethyM
Hi sorry for late reply.

I bought adapters which allowed me to connect the speakers without cutting through the original connectors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DKMUS-Speaker-Adaptor-Plates-Harness/dp/B01G6W7BFM/ref=asc_df_B01G6W7BFM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310764720204&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4019002958134078295&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006565&hvtargid=pla-464153319102&psc=1

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought Apline SPR-60's in the end for both front and rear doors.

Being delivered Monday.

Can't wait to fit them.

I think the Clarion SSD is slightly better powered than the standard OEM honda unit.

Will be interesting to hear the difference.
Alpine Rs should be amped really. The 50w your HU claims is peak power and not RMS. The RMS wattage will be between 15-20w so will be underpowering your speakers. You may not notice a massive difference over standard and the real benefit will come from an amp.

The Alpine E range is made to work from HU power so are low wattage and high frequency so perform a lot better. if you were to compare both R and E range from head unit power, the E's will sound better as they are working to their intended spec.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a definite sound improvement.

I have the ssd navigation system not the standard oem civic unit.

Not bothered about amping them at the moment. They do what i want them to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts