2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was going over a few things in my head around what ive never done on the car since ive had it. I bought it at 19k and now a measly 125k on the clock. Rather embarrassingly i have never changed the fuel filter (had one for 18 months and keep putting it off), never changed the gear box oil and never done an alternator belt (I can see the shaking heads from here....i know....really! I know!!)

Now before we go any further im doing the fuel filter and box oil tomorrow along with an oil and filter change that it gets every 6 months, and one in every 2 it gets the air filter/pollen filter. I rang my local honda dealer today for a price on a belt and it was £50 +vat (so £60..if you hadn't worked it out) and they don't stock them! His first comment was we dont sell many of these followed by what happened, did it snap? Eurocarparts dont list one, which is annoying, and local parts guy said this was a honda only job (not sure about that really?)

My question is has anyone bothered to change there's? Mine looks OK, but my mechanics head says i know im pushing this, surely? And if so where did you get the belt from/price. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
No point changing the belt if it looks okay.

People are keen on fuel filters, so probably no harm in changing that if you do so, use genuine one.

I thought gearbox was for life... so I'd say, just do the fuel filter, and carry on for another 100k miles

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I thought gearbox was for life...
There is a 75K Mile service interval on gearbox oil (Off the top of my head), But I've noticed a substantial improvement in feel having it changed after only 32K.

I had the gearbox oil changed at the service, in addition to the clutch fluid as it was starting to look a smidge dark (And it's getting on for three years old)

The dealer fixed price rate is £85 for Gearbox, £35 for clutch fluid, which seems reasonable - And I'd rather have evidence of the work being done by Honda should the transmission go pop :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can confirm that at 75k miles (120k km) in manual is fuel filter, gear box oil, spark plug service (change) and valves adjustment.
Might be but expensive in total but for good health of your car and peace of mind don't skip any of these.

Wysłane z mojego SM-N960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Gearbox Oil is an easy job... Remove Air Filter box to fill and inspection panel to drain. I did mine at 80K Exactly, don't notice any difference apart from peace of mind. Make sure you seat the Oil Filter box back correctly though, mine was slightly misaligned and every time I started the car it rattled and every time I shut it down it rattled. Took it back off, reseated it and no rattles.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Hijacking a 9G thread I know but what about the belts on the 8G?

What sort of mileage would you expect to get in normal daily usage?
I'm at 50k and it shows no sign of any deterioration.

Also does the water pump ever need replacing as a matter of course as required on so many other makes of car (VW especially)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hijacking a 9G thread I know but what about the belts on the 8G?

What sort of mileage would you expect to get in normal daily usage?
I'm at 50k and it shows no sign of any deterioration.

Also does the water pump ever need replacing as a matter of course as required on so many other makes of car (VW especially)?
Well I'm at 125k so apparently that's achievable ha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts