2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a second hand honda civic 1.8 9th facelift and did test drive before buying it. While driving the car I could hear a weird sound at low speed/breaking. I told this to the seller and he said he fixed the problem by changing the brake pads? Now I bought the car without test driving it again, I feel that the braking isn't as strong as my previous car (9th pre facelift 1.4). I took a few pictures of the front callipers, I don't seem to see the pads? At the last picture I attached I see the black pads from the rear wheels.

Can someone confirm that this is normal on their facelifted 9th honda civic?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its difficult to tell from the photos but it looks like the back of the brake pads have been painted? No idea who would do this?
The braking effort coul feel worse because of the slightly greater vehicle weight and/or worn pads. Sometimes old brake fluid will also make the pedal feel softer/less effective.
Would be worth getting a garage to check and report it for you if it's still causing issues and then go back to the seller if they messed it up so you have proof.
If it was me I would be asking for some money back to do the pads (and maybe the disc too) properly.

·
i-Vtec
4,682 Posts
Looks like they used some kind of silver grease on the back of the new pads. Again if they just changed the pads it will take time for them to bed in the disc, hence why you feel braking is not very strong. Off course could also be they used cheap pads too. @scaramanga any idea what grease that might be?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read online that you have to drive at least 100-200 miles before the new pads work as they should. Maybe I need be more patient? Silver grease, is that any good?

·
i-Vtec
4,682 Posts
Pretty much, let them bed in naturally, don't go doing any 100-0 stops. No idea what kind of grease it is, its just to help stop squealing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the grease is aluminium or nickel grease, an alternative to copper grease. both superior to copper grease in my view (for modern cars with lots of aluminium parts).

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
As can be seen on last photo pads do have backing to not have squeeqs. Someone who fitted overgreased pads. I would use some sort of wheel cleaner or brake dust cleaner and would wash it all discs pads. Just to be sure there's no grease between pads and discs. And then let the brakes to dry and bed in.

·
Super Moderator
2,667 Posts
Looks like they used some kind of silver grease on the back of the new pads. Again if they just changed the pads it will take time for them to bed in the disc, hence why you feel braking is not very strong. Off course could also be they used cheap pads too. @scaramanga any idea what grease that might be?
looks like a anti seize compound probably a nickel based 1 rather than copper

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem was the gas pedal. When stepping on the gas pedal you could hear a little sound. A friend told me if I use wd40 on it, the problem could be solved. Ill let you guys know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts