2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I phoned my local dealership (not where I bought my Civic) & asked them to sort out the filler cap, radio update, HFT quality & take a look at the paintwork to decide if the chips were reasonable given only 1000 miles. They booked my car in for a day.

A few days later I phoned them & said that I had seen that the filler cap could be repaired by fitting the new clip/spring thing in minutes instead of them having to replace the whole cap, spout etc. At first they said that as they'd reported the filler cap to the warranty dept that they had to do that fix or the warranty dept would give them grief. I said that if they wanted they could ask the warranty dept to give me the grief & explain to me why my wishes would be ignored when I was the customer who had paid them almost £20k. They checked with warranty & said ok, newest fix it would be.

Wednesday just gone I dropped my car off - 4pm they phoned me & to say they needed my car for an extra day cos they had only just ordered the foam for the HFT fix.

Thursday I collected my car to find that they had not even looked at the paintwork, had only just that morning ordered the CD to update the radio (arriving in a few days), but had fixed the filler cap & the HFT.

Today I actually used the filler cap & was rather annoyed to find that, although it worked, they had not used the newest fix as we had agreed.

I phoned the service manager who said no worries, they'd apply the newest clip fix when I return to get the radio updated. I explained that it had been agreed how the fix would be done & they had ignored my wishes & gone the other, apparently less reliable route regardless. He didn't seem to get my point about lying & trust being broken but just kept saying they would apply the other fix next visit - no apology.

How can they have my car booked in for 2 weeks, not order all the relevant bits, then double the time it is in the garage, do only half the work, & ignore my instructions on working on what is MY car?

Am I being unreasonable?

This is the Gloucester dealership of Amethyst Honda by the way. The same people who, when I took my old '97 Civic in for a service, managed to perform only the basic service & ignore all the items I had asked them to look at in addition. I should've known better...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honda definately appear to be let down by their dealer network , my civic has been back three times to have the hft "fixed " and it is still no better han the day I picked the car up .
Jmbo

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Apemonkeyman,
I'm actually speechless at that horror story. Just how many hours did they have the car to carry out what appears to be about one hours work ?
Dealers like that are fixing the car at their convenience, not yours, and screwing Honda into the bargain.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda definately appear to be let down by their dealer network , my civic has been back three times to have the hft "fixed " and it is still no better han the day I picked the car up .
Jmbo
The HFT appears to be a little better but not as good as I'd hoped.

Apemonkeyman,
I'm actually speechless at that horror story. Just how many hours did they have the car to carry out what appears to be about one hours work ?
Dealers like that are fixing the car at their convenience, not yours, and screwing Honda into the bargain.
I will be calling Honda Customer Service to see if they are interested to hear about this.

Their excuse for not having ordered the foam & update CD was that they had to see the car to diagnose the problems before Warranty would allow them to order the bits. Surely when they are problems that have official service bulletins they shouldn't need to see the car for a day first!?:mad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
you're definately not being unreasonable.

made an agreement on what they would do and they didn't do it. In my opion all they can do is say sorry and do what was agreed.

I think you should definately call or send a letter to Honda Customer Service. Be calm, explain the situation in a professional way and leave it there. Don't end by making demands of whatever kind, just leave it and see what happens.

GL.

Brummer

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
No, you're not being unreasonable, it sounds like an unprofessional standard of customer service; given the amount of money you're giving to their business you're right not to take it lying down.

What irks me is that this doesn't sound that rare anymore: I've not been impressed with the dealer from whom I bought my Civic, and if the board is anything to go by, neither have several others. Handing over upwards of 15k should guarantee an exemplary level of service as standard.

If you contact Honda they will probably call the dealer to discuss the matter then get back to you with a suggested way forward, which will probably comprise "make another appointment for the outstanding work". This is what happened when I called them to have a moan about both the car and what I perceived to be poor standards of customer interaction.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can someone explain what the HFT problem is?? As my Civic has had almost everyone problem going I am feeling left out that my HFT is not broken. Oh, and my radio seems fine.

Anyway, back to the point I was going to make, Ape....go to Amethyst in Cheltenham. They are much better.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone explain what the HFT problem is?? As my Civic has had almost everyone problem going I am feeling left out that my HFT is not broken. Oh, and my radio seems fine.
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813: Poor call quality to the person you are calling & voice control delay & poor voice recognition.

Anyway, back to the point I was going to make, Ape....go to Amethyst in Cheltenham. They are much better.
That's likely to be my next step BUT they are part of the same "chain" so I feel like they shouldn't get my business cos my money will all go in the same pockets - the pockets of those who employ idiots.

But I'll take your word for it & go there instead.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
You were fairly clear and told them exactly what you wanted done and what you expected them to do. To have the car two weeks is ridiculous, I trust they did give you a courtesy car right?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<snip>

They booked my car in for a day.

<snip>

How can they have my car booked in for 2 weeks, not order all the relevant bits, then double the time it is in the garage, do only half the work, & ignore my instructions on working on what is MY car?
You were fairly clear and told them exactly what you wanted done and what you expected them to do. To have the car two weeks is ridiculous, I trust they did give you a courtesy car right?
Oops, I didn't explain that very well.

They booked the car in for a day, they kept it for 2 days.

The booking was in place for 2 weeks before my car was actually with the dealer, giving them 2 weeks to get everything required to do the jobs.

I did indeed get a courtesy car for 2 days - a Type S.

BTW, driving an EX with leather & then going back to driving a Type S (I drove one for 6 weeks during part of the wait for my own EX) is actually quite a bad experience IMHO... Just not so nice... but still feck loads better than driving any other car in its class I am sure!!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the RDS fix finally got installed - not tested yet cos I don't do many miles at the mo...

The paint thickness is claimed to be fine despite the chips at low mileage.

The fuell filler aperture has had the spring clip fitted since they did the complete replacement... when I tested it out it worked fine... when I went to fill up, the bloody thing stuck again!!

It only took one extra go to get it to open tho.

Has anybody else had the assembly replaced AND the spring clip fitted & still had the cap fail to open?:(

At least I can now ditch Amethyst Gloucester & go to Cheltenham instead.

·
Rusty Nut!
614 Posts
What a nightmare I would say it's a case of you telling them what was wrong and them saying "we'll diagnose the problems not you" only to find everything you said was wrong... was wrong resulting in them having to order the correct parts etc. Certainly not you being unreasonable!

On the one hand annoying for you but in my line of work (computer engineer) there's nothing worse than the customer telling you whats wrong with their PC and you order the parts only to find it's nothing of the sort the most common being "I need more memory" which translates to "I need a bigger hard disk drive". In your case you obviously knew exactly what was wrong with your car but they didnt!!

Perhaps we should insist our dealers service departments come on here and see the genuine problems people are repeatedly having and learn how to sort them properly!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think Honda will ever admit their paint is rubbish it will open up a huge can of worms - but it is.
The guy at Amethyst Gloucester did say he thinks it may be to do with the paint being water-based - apparently not so tough. To get him to say it on-record may be a bit difficult.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps we should insist our dealers service departments come on here and see the genuine problems people are repeatedly having and learn how to sort them properly!
...yeah! & the twats in charge of getting things fixed up on cars before sending them out...

·
Registered
382 Posts
The guy at Amethyst Gloucester did say he thinks it may be to do with the paint being water-based - apparently not so tough. To get him to say it on-record may be a bit difficult.
So apemonkeyman, is that the end of it from the paint perspective? I have a NHB, they measured the paint thickness and deemed the bonnet too thin (1/2 the thickness of the rest of the car). It took them 2 attempts to get it right so I reckon I now have a lot of paint on there, yet 6 months later my bonnet is covered in chips (at least 20).
I am going to take it back to the dealer. He effectively admitted there was a problem by agreeing to repaint the bonnet, and this has clearly not fixed the problem so I am going to see what they have to say now.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So apemonkeyman, is that the end of it from the paint perspective? I have a NHB, they measured the paint thickness and deemed the bonnet too thin (1/2 the thickness of the rest of the car). It took them 2 attempts to get it right so I reckon I now have a lot of paint on there, yet 6 months later my bonnet is covered in chips (at least 20).
I am going to take it back to the dealer. He effectively admitted there was a problem by agreeing to repaint the bonnet, and this has clearly not fixed the problem so I am going to see what they have to say now.
When I get a chance I will take the car to an independant paint shop to get their opinion. If I am told this is not right then I will take that back to Honda & kick off...

If I am told it's bad luck of the draw then I will get on with the touch-up paint & make a more informed decision on my next Honda accoring to what they are like at that time.

I don't think thickness is the issue - you could cover the car in 2ft of jelly & get jelly chips... it's the paint hardness &/or elasticity that is the problem.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
When I get a chance I will take the car to an independant paint shop to get their opinion. If I am told this is not right then I will take that back to Honda & kick off...

If I am told it's bad luck of the draw then I will get on with the touch-up paint & make a more informed decision on my next Honda accoring to what they are like at that time.

I don't think thickness is the issue - you could cover the car in 2ft of jelly & get jelly chips... it's the paint hardness &/or elasticity that is the problem.

Even my local dealership are starting to realise that my car scratches too easily as they have now damaged it twice - I am still waiting for results of a paint report that Honda Uk carried out in November!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
TC

Did you ever get an answer to your letter?

I still waiting for hcs service ring back from two weeks ago

also return call from vw hasn't happened

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even my local dealership are starting to realise that my car scratches too easily as they have now damaged it twice - I am still waiting for results of a paint report that Honda Uk carried out in November!

That'll be why I haven't got heavy on the dealer yet. Need to get my own report before kicking off. There are more white marks every week I wash it & I'm being very careful not to be using gravel as a washmit!! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts