2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can you advise if changing one caliper how much brake fluid will be needed to bleed the system

Note: I don't need to change fluid

Would 500ml suffice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I think 500ml is much more than enough, even 250ml would be enough on my opinion.
Before disassembling the caliper, just close the relative hose.
Beware that brake fluid is corrosive and the areas that come into contact with it must be cleaned.
A complete bleed of the brake and clutch circuits needs one liter.
Only suggestion is to use, if possible, the same dot (e.g. use dot 4 if your circuit is filled with dot 4, 3 with 3, and 5.1 with 5.1).
Oils of different brands can be mixed without major problems, but being only just a small refill, if possible, I would also suggest to use the same brand.
For having the correct maximum level in the bowl, all the caliper pistons (of the four calipers) should be retracted to their zero travel position.
On mine I have used ate Typ200 brake fluid (dot 4), ate Bremszylinder-Paste (Cylinder Lubricant) on the cylinders, and ate Plastilube (anti squeal grease) on rear of the Brake Pads with good results.
Other brands also make very good products that are not too expensive (e.g. Motul RBF 660, etc. etc.).
But, actually, being only just a small refill, it wouldn't be necessary to buy anything special.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha it's not that mate I'm having to rebuild a caliper & I got motul rf600 already in dont wanna mix it in with the common stuff lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Hawkmoon thank you for your detailed reply. I only need one Calliper so hopefully the entire system shouldn't need doing but even if it does think a single bottle of motul should do the trick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jay,
It was a pleasure. Motul brake fluids are all excellent, and you will for sure do a good job.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I used 1L for proper flush in all corners and from the clutch line at the same time.
Don't use hose clamp - brake hoses are not designed for this. Just compress the brake pedal to the floor and block it with something to stay that way. By the time you undo the bolt, replace washers and connect new caliper very little fluid will come out.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
@Hawkmoon thank you for your detailed reply. I only need one Calliper so hopefully the entire system shouldn't need doing but even if it does think a single bottle of motul should do the trick
I would recommend to flush the system as you will most definitely let the air in the system, which you don't want to do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a shame , I was hoping just to bleed rather than flush it out as it's fairly new fluid :(

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Some people do it with just flushing one disconnected corner, but for the price of the fluid it's nothing. I just share like I personally do it and stand here to be corrected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts