2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a CP108LG-W3v3 sub to fit into the false floor of my FN2 but the amp I have is rated at 500w RMS which is what the sub can handle at MAX.

Is there a way to turn down the watt output from my amp to match the 250w RMS of the sub?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Turn the gain dial right down to minimum.

You'll be fine using your amp as you won't need to turn the volume right up.

·
Your just like an angel..
852 Posts
Turn your gain right down and adjust it up slowley. Should be fine as long as you dont over do it. They say turn your volume up to about 75% and work the gain in slowley from there till you hear any clippin

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
don't turn it up too high else you'll smell burnin' :laugh:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn the gain dial right down to minimum.

You'll be fine using your amp as you won't need to turn the volume right up.
just had a quick google about your suggestion but people seem to think turning down the gain doesn't reduce the wattage output?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Gain affects the input signal strength preamp, you want that right down anyway so the original signal isn't distorted. For instances where your input signal is weak you turn the gain up slightly.

Solution to run that is just don't turn volume up so much then you won't blow the speaker but you'll find you won't need to turn the volume dial up so far to have it loud anyway.

Is your amp multi channel or mono block? perhaps consider using only two channels of four for example, using half the amps potential power.

·
Your just like an angel..
852 Posts
It dosent reduce wattage. The gain will change vrms to match the output of the head. But it does change the output. Itl be fine as long as you dont run the gain to high. Turn it down and just work it up slow till it starts clipping the. Drop it down a bit

·
Derv Driver
465 Posts
So then what is this gain you are decreasing? :)

I always thought that's exactly what it was- the power output

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I just read the Kenwood manual for that model and yours is a two channel amp that produces 170w per channel at 4ohms....

(forget about it saying it produces 250w at 2ohms because the sub you are looking at runs at 4ohms impedence so you won't get 250w from the amp)

If you buy that JL sub just connect it to one of the channels on the amp so you have 170w going into a sub able to handle 250w....do not bridge the amp.

Job done ;)

Reactions: Waxdee

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks ICE gurus :)! just glad I don't have to fork out for another amp... the sub is so expensive as it is!

one last question, how do i go through one channel only? :p for all i know, i could have been going through one channel all this time...

I will take a photo of it later to help, seems like so much power loss though considering bridged it gets 500w RMS but drops to 170w RMS per channel (totalling only 340w)

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
thanks ICE gurus :)! just glad I don't have to fork out for another amp... the sub is so expensive as it is!

one last question, how do i go through one channel only? :p for all i know, i could have been going through one channel all this time...
Like this ;) connect like you would one speaker

... I wouldn't pay any mind to the advertised headline wattages btw

Attachments

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Laney, been excellent help! lets just hope 170w is enough oompf for it!

what do you mean you wouldn't pay any mind to them? would you just power it bridged?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I wouldn't power it bridged if I had other options but if all I had was a mono channel amp and I wanted to wire it up I just wouldn't turn the volume up as you'd fry the speaker.

170w RMS will be plenty don't worry.

Reactions: 47022

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will let you know how I get on then! Quite a few people have mentioned the sub on here but can't seem to find any photos of them installed in FN2s so I will be sure to upload a photo of mine :)

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
JL's produce massive sound for the rms wattage. used to run two of these you wont be disapointed

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Great amp, I have the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts