2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing an earlier thread reminded me that I needed to look at my hands free kit - I have "problems" but not necessarily the same as other people. I have everything paired, sometimes it works and pairs straight away, sometimes it pairs after a few minutes driving without me doing anything, sometimes it never pairs on my 15-20 minute journey.

However, once paired, it never unpairs so I don't think it's just a loose connection else I'd lose connection whenever it got bumped. Even when unpaired, I can use the steering wheel buttons to go through the menu which some people say doesn't work for them when the module has failed.

So, for want of something better to do tonight, I've installed ADB on my laptop and I'm now sat in the passenger seat of the car running "adb logcat" and I can see that even on the attempts when they don't pair, I can see pairing attempts being made and then failing. So I don't think the Bluetooth module in my car is actually faulty - even when it's not actually working and paired, it's still functional and just trying over and over again. I guess it's then "random" whether one of these attempts will actually work in the 20 minutes I'm usually driving, or whether they won't.

So I'll look into it a bit more, but for now does anyone actually have an Android 6.0.0 or 6.0.1 phone and an FN2 and find it working 100% reliably? I'm wondering whether the hands free unit is just "too old" to work, maybe there are firmware upgrades for it?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hi I experience the same problems that you describe but with my FK3 and a Wiley Fox Swift with Android 6. I also had the same problem with a galaxy nexus with Android 4.4. The galaxy nexus had Cyanogenmod and the swift has Cyanogen. I have found that this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myklos.btautoconnect&hl=en_GB app helps a lot but does not completely resolve the issue.
I have a work phone Sony E4 and this works perfectly every time so I don't think there is a fault with the HFT unit in the car.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point, my OnePlus One also runs CyanogenOS rather than stock Android. I wonder what would happen if I borrow a non-Cyanogen phone from work. Like you, I'm pretty sure the car module isn't faulty/loose otherwise I'd expect it to just fail at random intervals, but once it does manage to get connected it has never disconnected on me no matter how long I'm in the car. And the fact I can see it trying to connect even when it's not working does make me think that the fault lies with the phone somehow rather than the car module.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
From what I know of there has always been issues with Bluetooth on anything other then stock rom esp Cyanogen mod roms.

Took me ages to get my android to pair on cyanogen mod 6.0 where as on stock it worked fine.

Go back to stock and have another go.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I know of there has always been issues with Bluetooth on anything other then stock rom esp Cyanogen mod roms.

Took me ages to get my android to pair on cyanogen mod 6.0 where as on stock it worked fine.

Go back to stock and have another go.
The phone's a OnePlus One so Cyanogen IS stock; but it's CyanogenOS, not CyanogenMod, so in theory it's gone through a ton of QA testing within Google so it can have the same Google certification as their own Nexus handsets.

I'll try the contact sharing too, cos that doesn't seem to work anyway (ditto phone status like battery which I think the car should be able to show?)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried turning off contact sharing, no joy. Tried that Bluetooth app, nope. Even went against my gut and messed about flashing an alternative ROM (I remember why I haven't done that for ages, the fragmentation of Android makes it a bit of a pain in the arse), but no luck there either. Pretty sure at this point it's some weird firmware bug with my phone. The Bluetooth module in the car seems to work fine, I paired my spare iPhone 3GS with no SIM card in it for days on end, and I borrowed a spare Blackberry Z10 from the "crap test devices" box at work for a few days and that worked fine too.

Are there any firmware upgrades for the HFT module in a 2008 FN2? Anything I can call the dealer about and have upgraded for better compatibility with new handsets?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts