2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted couple of pics elsewhere on the forum, but thought I create a thread here with a bit more of an in-depth review. I have bought this back in March with a Honda mount and I'm well chuffed with it. Runs flawlessly as a dash cam and run's most android apps you throw at it :)

I contacted the supplier directly via Alibaba.com and it was about £130 in shipping (took less than a week). Well worth the money and I don't think they realise how popular these would be in the EU, US and UK (They sell mainly in Asia).

JC600 3G Rearview Mirror DVR

It's easy to fit, just directly replacing the OEM mirror. You undo one screw in the mirror holder and it slides of the screen. Wiring is simple... Batt constant, 12v with ignition and ground. I used the option connector for these. The mirror can also be used as a reversing camera. It has a Video input and a connections for the reverse circuit which flips the display over to the back up camera image. I already have a reversing cam as standard, so I have used this for my front cam via a switch :)

The mirror may look big in this next pic, but it's the camera doing it... In reality its 10mm wider than the OEM and 5mm taller.

I've had a few dash cams before including 0801 and whilst the dash cam app on this hasn't got loads of settings to tweak, it's reliable and has a clear good quality image both night and day... it just works.

The dash-cam app runs all the time and has highest priority in the system (you can manually stop the app), it runs in the background and other apps work fine over the top. It shows a red 'REC' in the top left over all apps when running and the recordings are 10 mins segments... the mirror does a gentle reassuring double beep to highlight the next recording segment has started. You can select the size of the video storage space on your SD (4gb, 8gb, 12gb and 20gb). I have 20gb set on my 32gb SD, leaving plenty of space for other apps. A light press of the power button turns off the screen, but like a phone (Which this basically is) everything runs in the background.

The stock Android Rom is rock solid and never crashes, and combined with Tasker, it's possible to set up some cool stuff such as activating the camera with a text and viewing the stream on a PC. A lot of the stock Android apps (Gallery, Camera, Gmail etc.) are hidden as it has a dedicated launcher, but these can be easily accessed with apps like 'Start!' and 'Button Savoir'. (It's not rooted BTW)

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Nice write up there fella :thumbsup:

Looks like you get quite a bit of kit, all discretely packaged.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know you have a Honda sat-nav but do you happen to know how useful would the mirror be when using it for navigation ?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
At first I had Navmii installed, but was a bit flaky.. not because of the mirror, but it's not a good app.

So now I have Sygic installed and it works perfectly. So much so, I paid for the full version. I use it mainly for the speed cam alerts and most importantly, the current road speed (both of which the Honda sat nav does not do). This is because I drive a lot in Europe and some countries don't know what a speed limit sign is, so you have to guess the limit... yet the police expect you to know lol (Especially in Slovakia). I have sounds set up so that it alerts me too.

I'll post some pics later

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Very nice, you don't know anyone who makes a mirror with a built in usb camera that slots onto the Honda mounting by any chance do you?

Reason I ask is I use my Android HU and a USB dashcam on the back of my rear view mirror, however these tiny cameras look better, appear to have an even better viewing angle, and most important wont come unstuck and become a pain in my backside in the summer months!

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Look good well worth the mod

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, you don't know anyone who makes a mirror with a built in usb camera that slots onto the Honda mounting by any chance do you?

Reason I ask is I use my Android HU and a USB dashcam on the back of my rear view mirror, however these tiny cameras look better, appear to have an even better viewing angle, and most important wont come unstuck and become a pain in my backside in the summer months!
I'm afraid I don't :( I had a quick search and found nothing.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,616 Posts
What would be nice would be a way of using the power from my existing dimming powered mirror as the option connector ignition power is being used by my Garmin.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
This looks really good,I have a 0803 dashcam that I have not fitted yet to new car as I was thinking I would have to mount it alot lower down on windscreen compared to 8th gen Civic.

Will watch this thread closely to see how you get on with it ,would be good to see some footage if possible to compare quality of this to the 08 range of dashcams.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll try to get some videos up soon.

The quality I think is on a par with my old 0801, certainly clear enough to see details like registrations etc and night time is good too.

I've also set up Autosync, so that when the car/mirror connects to wifi (i.e outside my house), it syncs the video file folder with my Google Drive account (I set up one just for the car.) so I can view the videos without taking the SD card out.

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
I see that it required a 12v constant feed, does it always stay on standby then?

Does the unit have it's own internal battery?

Can it be powered off?

What's the draw on standby?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See comments in bold..

I see that it required a 12v constant feed, does it always stay on standby then? Yes, DVR recording stops and screen goes off... most apps are stopped... unless running as a background process.

Does the unit have it's own internal battery? Yes

Can it be powered off? Yes, long press of power button.. usual Android fair

What's the draw on standby? Not checked, but minimal... I've left for over a week and car starts no probs. It pretty much goes to sleep, but you can activate an app (via tasker) or leave one running in background.. the the draw is dependant on what the app is.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Very good info thanks

·
Premium Member
539 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Is that full HD camera? What's view angle and how it records in dark with not a lot light ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 CAF using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 130 Posts