2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into the idea of replacing the standard stereo with an Android tablet. I have heard the Nexus 7 is very similar if not the same size as a double DIN unit and would be ideal due to its low price, high performance, stock Android for long lasting updates, ability to install custom ROM such as Timur's USB ROM.

I've been reading around on the internet and here are some links for what others have done as projects on their vehicles.
In-dash nexus 7 with working steering wheel controls - xda-developers
Nexus 7 built in to double DIN enclosure. External DAC, USB drives, Auto ON / SLEEP

My idea is to fabricate something like this instead of buying an actual unit. At first i wanted the ability to be able to control my Android smartphone from the tablet itself. This would mean i could access all my apps from the tablet as if it were streaming.
customGadz
This company offers this as the problem with screen sharing is that you cant send touch signals from the receiving device back to the original source, but their hardware allows this and it also works for iOS (jailbroken) and Android. Their product will be released in May and i have contacted them for more details in regards with hooking up the device to the cars audio system.

My idea with the Nexus 7 would be similar to others, ideally have it to be removable, however this may mean the mounting wont be as clean as the device would have to protrude from the centre console or somehow be able to pop out. Nexus tablets are only around £150 so this makes for a cheap ICE add-on and one that will be beneficial. It has built in Wifi/bluetooth/GPS
+ Google maps (tether internet with smartphone)
+ Or maps app that has maps saved on memory such as Tomtom/Copilot
+ Music with aux out
+ Full stock Android experience including apps

- Not sure if it would be possible to use steering wheel controls for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yes forgot to add, if anyone had any ideas to throw around. I genuinely believe this is the ultimate head unit you could get. It goes so well with the futuristic interior design and the features from the tablet are great.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I've got a pure Android head unit, rather than just a tablet, and have to say I really do like it. So much more flexibility over the branded head units.

I also considered using a tablet, but thought it would probably be too much work and I am not sure my arts and crafts skills would be up to it.

With regards to steering wheel controls, take a look at the offerings from Joycon.

http://callcut.eu.org/uploads/ICE-Install/thumbnails/2013-10-16 22.05.42.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a pure Android head unit, rather than just a tablet, and have to say I really do like it. So much more flexibility over the branded head units.

I also considered using a tablet, but thought it would probably be too much work and I am not sure my arts and crafts skills would be up to it.

With regards to steering wheel controls, take a look at the offerings from Joycon.

http://callcut.eu.org/uploads/ICE-Install/thumbnails/2013-10-16 22.05.42.jpg
I see, yours is an Android system built into a double DIN unit. My idea though is that have a high end tablet like the Nexus 7. Im now thinking removable and have looked into it a bit more.

This video shows how these guys made a magnetic facia that holds the tablet infront of their stock unit. They placed magnets behind the console and on the tablet facia so that the facia itself can be removed. The tablet simply slides in. This idea can work with an aux in for audio and charging port however it wont be as neat as a built in system. Audio could be streamed via bluetooth if the vehicle had a bluetooth module added.

Friendly Plastic Shapelock Instamorph Pellets 500g, Easy To Colour, Reusable | eBay

Use this to build the facia. Heat the material and it hardens to very strong hard plastic. It can be remoulded too. They also sell colouring for it too. Sand and grind facia to shape desired similar to that in video.

Tablet can go infront of the satnav unit as that would be made redundant. Make a slot system to allow tablet to slide in allowing tablet to easily be removed but also the tablet would be facing the driver. Facia would have a light sponge coating to make it tight fit but also protect from scratches and wobbles. Not sure if the magnet facia idea can work as there is no suitable flat surface to do something like that. However a slot type system would probably have to be stuck on the car but that is a small price to pay.

New Nexus 7 is £200 for 16GB, £240 for 32GB
Plastic costs around £15 max
Aux in module £30

Along with this id probably do the dual USB port mod so that i can use those to charge the tablet and phone whilst leaving 12v socket free. The ports would have to be of higher amps to charge the tablet properly.

Id be wifi tethering with the tablet for internet as i have unlimited data. The tablet itself has many apps that makes it useful for cars. Apps that allow phone to connect to tablet so calls and messages can be taken from tablet itself. Home screen launchers which make the touch screen more suitable for driving use, such as larger buttons, widgets etc. This is definitely a project worth doing. You'll have your own fully working tablet, sat nav, multimedia system etc. As a much cheaper alternative, one could just use their own smartphone but would face the smaller screen.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I'm tempted by this as I have a Nexus 7 I hardly use :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Is it possible to get a blu tooth dongle that goes into the Civic's USB port that provides an A2DP function? So you can just blu tooth pair the Nexus with the dongle then all you need to do is provide power to the Nexus.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I m genuinely interested.

**subscribed *"

Sent from Submarine

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I'm planning a similar install a little while down the line, mine will be a fixed install using a nexus 7 2013 with Timur's new 2013 kernel, I'll be removing (or maybe relocating the stock head unit. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

·
R-398
702 Posts
Someone did something very similar on a Saxo forum, instead though they used an iPad mini and made a whole new mould for it to sit in on the facia. Cant find the thread any longer to provide a link but I was very impressed with his ingenuity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts