2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:
2 Years ago i got into a bit of a kerfuffle with another car.
No injuries, and all costs were covered by myself. My insurance company at the time were aware of that and no changes happened to my NCB.

Do i have to announce that incident considering that the insurance company didnt have to pay out?

I have upto now, i was just wondered if i still had to?

Thanks in advance all.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
IF you declared an accident to your insurer chances are itll be on the system regardless.

You even have to declare non fault claims (although they dont effect Premium)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
If you declared it when it happened, then you should declare it now as well.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
as many years history as the insurance company asks for i guess most are 3-5 years

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
however long they ask you too it will say on their online quote so even if not doing online (you should its usually cheaPer) have a look online do a dummy quote to see how long

·
Registered
9 Posts
IF you declared an accident to your insurer chances are itll be on the system regardless.

You even have to declare non fault claims (although they dont effect Premium)
depending on the company! my work rate on both fault and non fault accidents - i dont believe in it however

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If you don't declare it to your new insurer, when you try to take out a policy they will find it on your record and question you about it anyway. Someone clipped my wing mirror in traffic a couple of years ago. A cop saw it happen and told me I had to, by law, report it to my insurers. No fault, no 3rd party details as noone got his reg, and no costs involved as there was no damage but I did as I was told. 2 years on and I still get hit with a policy premium hike as I now have an extra "claim" on my record even though it was just a "notification". The system is stupid :(

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I'm with LV, mine actually went down by a £1 (!) after I declared a non fault incident - driver ran into the back of me - minor damage - new lower boot lip, his insurance paid no quibble.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It was on Watchdog a couple of months back - even ringing the insurance company to ask for information on your policy gets recorded and has been known to affect your premium...!

·
Registered
99 Posts
So assuming all of the above when i come to renew my policy in november ( and hopefully by a type r within the next year) i will have to declare the accident (small bump that never amounted to anything) that i (stupidly) reported to Elephant i will need to tell that to the new company, even though the insurance never got involved past the notification, and they said im still on for my first year of no claims?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Guh....Compare ze meerkat has me saving £170 on my current car when comparing quotes with and without the "accident" even though it was not a claim

And its a £500 difference between claim and no claim for a type-r

Sigh

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
My sister has had 2 non fault claims now and the when the insurance company put the premiums up even though wasn't her fault there reply was 'statistics show that someone who makes a non fault claim will normally have a at fault claim within 6 months'!!!????? Well we can all pull statistics out. Doesn't make them right.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your new insurer asks you to declare any claims made in the last 3-5 years then you would not have to declare it. If however they ask you declare any claims accidents or losses then I'd suggest you declare it otherwise in the event of a claim they would be within their rights to decline your claim as you had not declared a material fact.

It would all depend on whether you previous insurer logged to incident on a system called Q that all insurers have access too. Best advice would be to declare it if they ask for any accidents or losses rather than just claims

1 - 18 of 18 Posts