2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8 ivtec. When accelerating from around 2000 rpm I get a vibration/rattle that sounds metallic. It sounds like it's coming from the passengers side maybe towards the top of the engine bay? Anyone else had this?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
2k rpm is a resonant frequency for 4 cylinder engines, it could be a loose heat shield on the exhaust or even a pebble that's got into one. Get someone to hold the revs where the rattle is loudest and have a good search but just be mindful of hot things, you may have to get the car up on ramps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get something similar that sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the glove box, most noticeable accelerating from low revs in second gear as is quite common around town. Haven't spent much time or energy on attempting to diagnose so far, probably will do once it warms up a bit outside!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds exactly the same as mine. I think its either the glove box (or something behind it) or possibly the air filter/box.

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
2k rpm is a resonant frequency for 4 cylinder engines, it could be a loose heat shield on the exhaust or even a pebble that's got into one. Get someone to hold the revs where the rattle is loudest and have a good search but just be mindful of hot things, you may have to get the car up on ramps.
This answers the question why my Suzuki has a Vibration/rattle at only 1800rpm. :smile3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This rattle is really annoying now! I have looked through a few threads on here and lots of them mention the exhaust heat shield. I know there is a heat shield over the back box at the rear, is there another near the front passengers side? as that is where the rattle is coming from.

The other thing I have noticed is some clips have broken on the passenger side wheel trim, could this cause the rattle?

·
Administrator
17,932 Posts
This rattle is really annoying now! I have looked through a few threads on here and lots of them mention the exhaust heat shield. I know there is a heat shield over the back box at the rear, is there another near the front passengers side? as that is where the rattle is coming from.

The other thing I have noticed is some clips have broken on the passenger side wheel trim, could this cause the rattle?
Heat shields are all over modern cars, take a look on the Lings Honda website for your model/year for exploded diagrams ;)

Oh and if summat is loose then fix it.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Do you have a friendly local garage that will let you get the car up on a lift, or at least let you watch while they have a look?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts