2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to share my experience. Yesterday because of the attempted London bombings and road closures, pretty much every major road was at a stand still in central London. As you may know the SatNav tries to avoid 'small' roads (i.e. non A or B roads) and all since the 'main' roads were jammed up, it had no options but to send you through 'small' roads (you would think anyway, and I knew a path through the small roads myself so it should!). However, this made the SatNav crash and reboot itself rather than sending me down the 'small' roads! Obvo, when it boots up again, it has no traffic updates and is happy, till all the updates come in again and.... crash! Kept on like this till I got to clearer roads. Hmmmmh.... not good if you are in unfamiliar areas, but then it was an extreme circumstances. Maybe updating the firmware could solve it, but that means money on a new DVD (mine has a 2005-06 DVD). Grrrr....

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
might be down the the number of alternative routes it was having to try?

sorry to hear you got caught up in it all :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first post. I think I will buy civic next week. hopfully I won't change my mind till then.
Lol, :).

BTW. Right now I am working / finishing Navi software for model 2008 at Alpine. Can't give more info though.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
My first post. I think I will buy civic next week. hopfully I won't change my mind till then.

BTW. Right now I am working / finishing Navi software for model 2008 at Alpine. Can't give more info though.
Very interesting! Will look forward to hearing more from you in the future :)

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts

how much out of date will that be,:?::?:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Today, I set a route I was going to drive (even though I knew the way) just to practice with the system.

As I am running in, I chose minimise motorways.
There is an "old road" running parallell to the motorway - an obvious choice.

But no - it guided right to the motorway!

I disregard this and drove the other way, then it recalculated and seemed to guide me where I wanted to go.

But, at one point the road I was taking crossed over the motorway.
And guess what?
It wanted me to drive onto the motorway...

Dani - do you need any beta-testers who could use the 08 software for very little pay? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
:) I don't know what I am allowed to write about Navis :)

As for the testers: Unfortunately you can't do this of the record. So you need to be an employee. And another thing.... I really don't want additional bugs to be discovered at the end of the project :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
And another thing 08 model has much much improved since 06. There was a lot of testing and bug fixing.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
And another thing 08 model has much much improved since 06. There was a lot of testing and bug fixing.
Did you say you were working in the sales department now?

:p :p :p :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol :) No I saw the improvement in my part :)
(btw. I don't think I can discuss this here) Hope you don't mind this.
I joined forum cause I will probably buy a civic next week :)
I must decide between Audi A3, Civic , Astra GTC. Last time (2 days ago) I called the local car dealer and they had a black civic in stock. So if next week the car is still available it will be mine :) Although they have another black Executive model in stock, but it is to expensive form my opinion.

Civic 1.8 Sport costs 21€
Civic 1.8 Ex costs 25€

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
lol :) No I saw the improvement in my part :)
(btw. I don't think I can discuss this here) Hope you don't mind this.
I joined forum cause I will probably buy a civic next week :)
I must decide between Audi A3, Civic , Astra GTC. Last time (2 days ago) I called the local car dealer and they had a black civic in stock. So if next week the car is still available it will be mine :) Although they have another black Executive model in stock, but it is to expensive form my opinion.

Civic 1.8 Sport costs 21€
Civic 1.8 Ex costs 25€
Of course I understand that you cannot discuss your work.
Be careful about that, I am sure you have signed some bits of paper and stuff.

Good luck with the choice of car.
I have driven Astras (not the GTC, but standard) a LOT as rental cars, and although they are nice enough, they are just your average motor and not a Civic. Never been an Audi fan myself.

So for me, between those three there is only one choice!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Bit of a wierd one...

Went to North Cornwall yesterday.
Know the route well, it's one a do a fair bit :D

But put Sat Nav on for TMC info.

Setting off at 5:15am, 159 miles to go, arrival est at 8:20. Handy, as I needed to be there by that time.

Going down the M5, noticed it wanted me to take the A39 past Barnstaple.

Now, I know that at times, this can be a good route, but it can also be a right pain, as there are lots of long single lane sections.

So I decided against the A39, and to go on down to Exeter onto the A30 (also lots of single lane stuff, but more motorway before you get to it).

Sat Nav recalcs as I pass the A39 exit...

eta now 7:53am

27minutes chopped off the time.

And yes, it was set to 'fastest route' for the calculation...

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Of course I understand that you cannot discuss your work.
Be careful about that, I am sure you have signed some bits of paper and stuff.

Good luck with the choice of car.
I have driven Astras (not the GTC, but standard) a LOT as rental cars, and although they are nice enough, they are just your average motor and not a Civic. Never been an Audi fan myself.

So for me, between those three there is only one choice!

Support you 100% there, also, in my opinion Honda probably makes the best engines in the world!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bit of a wierd one...

Went to North Cornwall yesterday.
Know the route well, it's one a do a fair bit :D

But put Sat Nav on for TMC info.

Setting off at 5:15am, 159 miles to go, arrival est at 8:20. Handy, as I needed to be there by that time.

Going down the M5, noticed it wanted me to take the A39 past Barnstaple.

Now, I know that at times, this can be a good route, but it can also be a right pain, as there are lots of long single lane sections.

So I decided against the A39, and to go on down to Exeter onto the A30 (also lots of single lane stuff, but more motorway before you get to it).

Sat Nav recalcs as I pass the A39 exit...

eta now 7:53am

27minutes chopped off the time.

And yes, it was set to 'fastest route' for the calculation...
Don't have it my self , could it have been including a TMC delay which had cleared by the time you got there?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Don't have it my self , could it have been including a TMC delay which had cleared by the time you got there?
I guess it could have been, though it didn't do the usual 'do you want to detour?' prompt.

I'll chuck the route back in with a calc 5 when I next get in the car, and see what it says :)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
OK.

first pic shows the 5 (2 really) calculated routes.

Fastest being about 3 hours 15 mins for the 156miles

Second pic shows (in hand drawn pink*) the actual fastest route, which is a more realistic 2 hours and 30 to 45 mins - although it add about 10 miles to the distance - and is the route which it recalc'd to when I ignored it's advice to head towards Barnstaple.

Interestingly, the sat nav obviously knows about the route via Okehampton, and 'linking' road is actually the M5 - which I kinda hope it knows about! :lol:

* EDIT - apols, pink was just a good colour to show up on the map, and I didn't notice till after posting that it's the colour for 'minimise toll roads' too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Very interesting! Not tested this myself yet, but I think I will do the next time I go for a long (er) trip! But I love the whole navigation unit soo much, although I am aware of the fact that "big brother" can watch you! So to any crook out there, stear away from the new civic, it's not the right car to nick, (heheh,kidding) I know attempting that wouldn't have been an easy task!!
I don't bother! I just enjoy everytime I go for a ride!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts