2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car in for its MOT today. Had a phone call earlier to tell me the underside is so badly corroded its not worth fixing. Absolutely Gutted. Cant believe that I had no advisories last year then being told this today. At a total loss as to what Im going to do TBH

·
Registered
161 Posts
Had the car in for its MOT today. Had a phone call earlier to tell me the underside is so badly corroded its not worth fixing. Absolutely Gutted. Cant believe that I had no advisories last year then being told this today. At a total loss as to what Im going to do TBH
Sorry to hear this
Bad situation to be in,had mine written off by another driver,currently in a hire car and no closer finding anything that fits the shoes of the 2.2 diesel Civic.At least I got almost £2.5k payout
I don’t think they realise how hard it is and how time consuming it is to find something you want within a budget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yip. I dont have a budget really as Im skint. Been a good car tbh although I have spent a few £ on it over the last 4 years

·
Registered
716 Posts
What engine is it?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What's actually gone on the underside?

Would be keen to see as the Civic isn't much of a ruster unless it's the rear beam.

·
Registered
716 Posts
What's actually gone on the underside?

Would be keen to see as the Civic isn't much of a ruster unless it's the rear beam.
The majority of 8th gen civics have only minor surface corrosion on underbody and the rear beam being the worst for corrosion, was just looking at a fn2 for sale and checked the m.o.t history it was excessively corroded underneath, it normally affects cars that have lived by the coast.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The majority of 8th gen civics have only minor surface corrosion on underbody and the rear beam being the worst for corrosion, was just looking at a fn2 for sale and checked the m.o.t history it was excessively corroded underneath, it normally affects cars that have lived by the coast.
I spent an afternoon examining the underside of my car, only really surface rust. Even the beam wasn't that bad, I scraped it down and applied some inhibitor then wax. That'll probably be good for the many more years.

Next year I'll clear out the inner wheel arches under the liners as they can rust on cars after awhile as water/dirt can just sit up there and go nowhere.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I spent an afternoon examining the underside of my car, only really surface rust. Even the beam wasn't that bad, I scraped it down and applied some inhibitor then wax. That'll probably be good for the many more years.

Next year I'll clear out the inner wheel arches under the liners as they can rust on cars after awhile as water/dirt can just sit up there and go nowhere.
👍

·
Registered
716 Posts
Its a 1.8. was actually at a funeral when he phoned so didn't take everything in but it sounded pretty bad. Not worth repairing is what I mostly took away from it.
What part of the underbody is corroded? Has it lived by the coast?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
"Not worth repairing" is very subjective. It can translate to many things including not wanting to do the work.

And even if it's £500+ of welding. If the rest of the car is fine then maybe it's worth it?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Maybe better to get someone else's opinion on it. And a price to put it right. Worst case I'd say you'd make more parting it out if you can than scrapping it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think its worth getting a 2nd opinion. It wasnt the usual guy I use to do work. Been in contact with my usual guy and hes saying it might not be that bad??? Hes pretty good IMO. On the other hand I dont see why the other guy would say it was that bad if it wasnt. Iv had the car 4 years and we are relatively close to the water (within a mile)

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
Yep, get a second opinion, the guy you trust might see it as a easy fix. 1 job to one guy might be a nightmare as to another a doddle of a job. Their is another option but might not go down well on here so I keep stump.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Alot of the older mk8s will have corrosion underneath now. You'd think if it was that bad for this mot that you would previously have had it showing on old mots

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm surprised mine is not showing more rust underneath, with me living on the coast and working in the winter gritting depot.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I believe the Civic's underside is sensibly designed and rust proofed from new.

The suspension and hubs seem to be where most of the rust is and those things can either be changed or it's surface and that type of metal seems to resist it fairly well for years even if the bits themselves look horrible. Obviously removing bolts from said bits isn't fun but meh.

Do you think its worth getting a 2nd opinion. It wasnt the usual guy I use to do work. Been in contact with my usual guy and hes saying it might not be that bad??? Hes pretty good IMO. On the other hand I dont see why the other guy would say it was that bad if it wasnt. Iv had the car 4 years and we are relatively close to the water (within a mile)
Those are all just words and opinions, obviously get a definitive answer on what is exactly the issue so you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
CW FK2R GT
882 Posts
did other guy say he could get it scrapped or buy it for parts? trust your usual guy, hes your usual guy for a reason right? if he tried to put it for mot ask for the doc it would say what is the fail if he has none then, i could be more "i cant be hooped doing the work for you so" answer tbh mate,not the easiest cars to work on to be fair (in their mind) to a lot of mainstream mechanics.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Mk8 is easy to work on, especially in 1.8 format.

I've messed around with a few different cars over the years, Toyota, BMW, Ford, Alfa... And for something relatively modern the mk8 is sensible.

Everything I've worked on has been easy to access, even the wheel lug I changed a few weeks back was clearly thought out from the design stage. They can be hammered out in minutes as there's a deliberate gap built into the wheel assembly just large enough to extract said lug from.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts