2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wire brush the underside and apply some bilt hamber hydrate 80, as long as it’s just minor corrosion and nothing major

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
What's actually gone on the underside?

Would be keen to see as the Civic isn't much of a ruster unless it's the rear beam.
I don't know what civics you have been looking under but all of the 8th gens I've seen under are pretty damn rusty on the rear beams and the underside above that area, especially in the rear of the floorpan area.

I've had to give mine a good coating of Lanoguard to try and prolong it as the later gen civics are shite in performance vs the 2.2 engine unless you have deep pockets and want to buy an overpriced used 10th gen.

Reactions: bayzoo

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Do you think its worth getting a 2nd opinion. It wasnt the usual guy I use to do work. Been in contact with my usual guy and hes saying it might not be that bad??? Hes pretty good IMO. On the other hand I dont see why the other guy would say it was that bad if it wasnt. Iv had the car 4 years and we are relatively close to the water (within a mile)
What exactly has it failed on? Get the other bloke to have a look

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I don't know what civics you have been looking under but all of the 8th gens I've seen under are pretty damn rusty on the rear beams and the underside above that area, especially in the rear of the floorpan area.

I've had to give mine a good coating of Lanoguard to try and prolong it as the later gen civics are shite in performance vs the 2.2 engine unless you have deep pockets and want to buy an overpriced used 10th gen.
Probably depends where the car lives normally and how much owners have done to the car from new.

The rear beam will always look fairly bad, I smacked and poked mine around but it seemed solid enough.

2.2d is probably the best of the bunch if one has the clutch in good health. 1.8 is rubbish for torque, it's fine for A to B but has nothing. I'd imagine the FN2 isn't even that quick normally as the K20 isn't known for torque.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
MOT expired over a week ago. Family Bereavement at the same time so it totally went out my head it needed booked in. The thing about a 2nd opinion is I have a 3 year old so I would be very wary about having him in the car now. Im on my way now to pic it up and ask the guy exactly what he found

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Got the car back and spoke to the guy. Says the underside is basically rotten through. Holes all over, can actually touch the carpet from under the car. Hes at a loss why it hasnt been flagged before. Beginning to think my usual guy wasnt as good as I thought????

The rear axle and brake lines are also in a bad way

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Im pretty confused myself how this could get so bad in the space of a year. Especially when nothing has ever been mentioned on previous MOTs.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Did they show you the holes? Get some pics if you can.

Floor pans are not that end of the world, just need to remove the interior. Most semi competent garages can do it but obviously it's whether it's worth it. I got one side of my other car welded up, was passenger side front but I forget. Was £400+ about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Already have the car in my driveway so cant get it up on ramps to have a look for myself. The car is probably only worth £700 I would think probably not even that. So the repairs would be just throwing money away IMO. The more I think about it the more Im pissed off it wasnt spotted at previous MOTs

·
Registered
263 Posts
Stick your phone under the car with the flash on and take a vid. You should be able to see how bad it is

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I still have the under tray on. Scared to take it off incase the arse falls out the car. The phone is a good idea. Will try it out tomorrow if its dry

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The undertray is held on by plastic clips, it isn't supporting anything with any weight in it!

You won't be able to remove it without jacking the car up. The rear clips are in silly places and hard to reach.

Sucks, but I'm still a bit suspicious that it either wasn't noticed or the car's suddenly beyond economic repair. Have you seen/bashed at some of the holes in the floor?

Almost implies really old accident damage that was never repaired properly and has rusted away without anyone really noticing but I'm speculating....

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Already have the car in my driveway so cant get it up on ramps to have a look for myself. The car is probably only worth £700 I would think probably not even that. So the repairs would be just throwing money away IMO. The more I think about it the more Im pissed off it wasnt spotted at previous MOTs
Get rid and move on to something better when you can afford it. There will be loads more like yours being scrapped soon as they're rot boxes with poor underseal.

Reactions: Das

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Bit harsh to call the Civic a rotbox, Mazda are far worse and likely Ford too! Plenty of cars that age will rot their subframes/rear beams etc

·
Registered
716 Posts
Most mk8 civics will have minor rust on underbody and beam etc, rotten mk8 are not common most that have rotted are cars that live by the sea, somebody has a fn2 with 214k and that has only minor rust on underbody.

·
i-Vtec
4,862 Posts
I had an advisory for rust under mine last year. I got under it, it was light surface rust on the floor pans, inner sills etc. I used a wire brush on a drill to clean it off then treated with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, then coated with Bilt Hamber Dynax UB, and sprayed Dynax Firm Film UB into the chassis where I could. TBH I was pretty disappointed I thought Japanese car firms had got a grip on underseal. Obviously not. MOT Next week, so here's hoping I got it early enough.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts