2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum but thought I would share my Civic story.

Car:
Civic (obviously) 2.2 Type S 2007

Background:
New clutch changed under warranty at 10,000 miles, its now done 72,000, serviced regularly, last one was 10/13, no other issues.

Symptoms:
At the start it was barely noticeable, you could almost convince your self it was just the turbo kicking in/cutting off or some sort of driver error but there was a slight loss/change in power about 2500 revs in high gears. The rev counter would drop slightly and bounce back up.
I then started to notice general sluggishness, especially in 3rd. Not keeping up with vans, being overtaken by Saxos while I wait for the power to kick in.
Finally, in the last couple of weeks its been a lot more obviously losing power, almost juddering in low gears and slipping at 2500 revs in 4th and 5th gears. Its a lot more noticeable when not particularly flooring it and trying to pull away (on a motorway) in high gears.

Theories:
Filters, valves, hoses....but I think that's just putting off the inevitable clutch and flywheel.

Solution:
Phoned a couple of mechanics who think it is the clutch. Think I'm going to change the flywheel at the same time as not sure it was done at 10,000 with the clutch. Been quoted £999 all in but with a LUK? flywheel, free loan car which I'm fairly "happy" with as its with a Honda Dealer.

Does anyone think any different?

Sorry for the long post, I'll make sure I post back to let you know the outcome.

Panick

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
If the clutch is slipping the revs will rise without any increase in vehicle speed and then drop again as the clutch begins to drive again. This event will usually take place at peak engine torque at around 1800 rpm. Rev's will usually rise to around 2500-300 rpm and fall back again. You appear to state that the revs are falling first ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely it would look the same. Rev counter rises, notice drop in power. Rev counter drops. Speed increases again. And rev counter rises.

Or do you think it isn't the clutch? :D

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
If the relationship between speedo and rev counter goes up or down, then the clutch is slipping... best way to check if to drive up a long incline around 2000 RPM (peak torque) in a high gear and floor the throttle. Clutch slip should then be obvious.

I have a nagging feeling that you may also have another problem, possibly as well? Try to isolate the symptoms if you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Driving along the motorway earlier. Just under 2000 revs about 60 in 5th. Put my foot down. Rev counter jumps to about 2500 without the speed increasing at the same rate. I think thats clutch slipping? What makes you think theres something else wrong. I have a nagging feeling too. My wallet is a bit scared... Thanks for your help.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Driving along the motorway earlier. Just under 2000 revs about 60 in 5th. Put my foot down. Rev counter jumps to about 2500 without the speed increasing at the same rate. I think thats clutch slipping? What makes you think theres something else wrong. I have a nagging feeling too. My wallet is a bit scared... Thanks for your help.
Yeah, that's good old i-CTDi clutch slip. Sometimes it corrects itself when the sticky pressure plate self-adjuster mechanism eventually moves. These clutches don't wear out like a typical clutch (i.e. the pressure plate loses clamping pressure, rather than the driven friction plate wearing out)... Slipping clutch - Civinfo Wiki

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
what these guys above have said, park up, handbrake on, try drive, if the cars revving up , clutch slip. if its stalling then its ok.also the juddering problem will most commonly be DMF. 999 sounds decent as its quite a pain in the ass job, when I do Honda clutches (im a Honda tech) its pretty much subframe off every time. good 4/5 hour job all in. that's if the bellhousing bolts don't pull the thread off of the block on their way out, and the subframe bolts aren't seized in. LUK I highly recommend. use their clutches all the time on Private jobbies

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update- Had my clutch changed and it seems to have solved the problem, noticeably a bit more reactive and no clutch slipping in sight.

Got it done at Brindley Honda Cannock and could not be more happy with the price or service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts